Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

BOQ & schedule

17 replies [Last post]
Osama Warid
User offline. Last seen 9 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
The client ask to relate program activities to the items mentioned in the project BOQ and that include many cases
1- Many activties related to one itme of BOQ
2- One activity related to one item of BOQ
3- One activity related to many items of BOQ
Please what is the suitable method to make the relation
Regards,

Replies

mimoune djouallah
User offline. Last seen 4 years 39 weeks ago. Offline

Hi all

i wrote a blog post how to link schedule and BOQ with different level of details.

http://www.plannertuts.com/primavera-p6-tutorials/link-the-schedule-to-t...

hope you find it useful.

regards

mimoune

reem fayez
User offline. Last seen 12 years 3 weeks ago. Offline

Hi osama,how are you 

am new to planning,actually am training to learn it by myself,i bought paul harris book.

I have two questions:

1-do you think i can learn it by myself?

2- can you explain to me more about the def of  the  EPS exactly and what is the responsible manager in promavera means?

reem fayez
User offline. Last seen 12 years 3 weeks ago. Offline

Hi osama,how are you 

am new to planning,actually am training to learn it by myself,i bought paul harris book.

I have two questions:

1-do you think i can learn it by myself?

2- can you explain to me more about the def of  the  EPS exactly and what is the responsible manager in promavera means?

Shailesh Sonar
User offline. Last seen 7 years 38 weeks ago. Offline

dear all,

I developed Programme for Making BOQ & Its Market Rate Justification, it is very useful for Earn Value analysis you can see it on following link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TdsII1Nud0

Thanks & Regards

Shailesh

Bo Johnsen
User offline. Last seen 8 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Osama,

If you want to have both the BQ and the schedule combined in same package I can recommend CANDY (www.ccssa.com). They are quite "big" in UAE. Package purely developed for the construction industry by construction people.

You have the chance (i.e. optional) to fully link the schedule and the BQ with all the options you have asked about. At all times you’ll know exactly how much of one BQ-item have been allocated to which activities (and vice versa), what is missing of the BQ-items yet to be allocated (both resources and materials), if BQ-item over-allocated, etc. Furthermore, it contains some other neat features.

As you have also done your estimation for the project in CANDY based on the BQ, you basically have most of the info you need to do the time schedule with, such as man-hours, unit rates, etc. Actually, CANDY can automatically do a quick schedule for you based on the above, even though I’ve never used that. In addition, you can do cash-flow, EVA, valuations, etc. in CANDY.

This is not an add for CANDY and I haven’t used it myself for a couple of years now, however, for your info it is out as an option.

Regards,

Bo

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 3 hours 15 min ago. Offline
Please download sample Excel file from the following link.

http://rapidshare.com/files/323899306/Sample_BOQ_Pivot_Table.xlsx

Best regards,
Rafael
Osama Warid
Please
Could you privide sample excel sheet or lotus file to my e-mail ausamawared@yahoo.com
Regards,
Rafael Davila
Osama,

Pivot Tables are more powerful than individual formulas for this purpose. I use subtotal formulas in my spreadsheets as a complement to the Pivot Tables.

Lotus 123 dsum formula is also available in Excel and is another option if you are not used to pivot tables.

The advantage of pivot tables is that no matter how many new BOQ items you add into the range they will automatically be included in the table, no need to manually add extra formulas.

Best regards,
Rafael
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Hi Osama

Excell copied Lotus so the commands are similar.

Its just that Lotus can do so much more than excell - particularly in data management.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Osama Warid
It is freindly use like axcel
Mike Testro
Hi Osama

Using P3 your job takes much longer as each resource has to be typed in.

Other types of software allow a copy paste function directly from the spreadsheet.

The spreadsheet I use is Lotus 123 where the
@dsum(range,field,#criteria#) function gives you totals of all BOQ items with the same line code. This does not work so well in excell.

Buy Lotus 123 from IBM or Ebay and your spreadsheets will work much better.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Osama Warid
Thanks for all
Actually all mentioned concept i aware of it. but how to acheive it by P3 this is the point.
Simply I make resouce related to the code of each item in the BOQ with budgeted cost = item amount.
Up to now it is work but I don’t know if this will continue or not.
Rafael Davila
Osama,

Once I modeled BOQ within SureTrak because the Owner insisted on it, you can get some ideas from the following PP topic, explore it as a curiosity.

http://www.planningplanet.com/forum/forum_post.asp?fid=1&Cat=1&Top=66157...

For practical purposes I do not recommend it, Mikes approach is by far easier and less error prone, I suspect is what most are doing. I have not found a better way yet.

If using a spreadsheet you can use the filter functionality in combination of the subtotals formula that will display subtotals for filtered values only. The totals function will always display all values within a range, including those hidden after running a filter.

Best regards,
Rafael
Mike Testro
Hi Osama

I assume that the purpose of the clients request is to make the triangular link between time - scope and money.

First you must extract the labour resources from the BOQ and set them down on a spreadsheet. I keep things simple by using one resource called "Hours" or "Days" depending on the level of detail required.

On another sheet copy paste the programme activities and put a code number agaist each one.

Go back to the BOQ sheet and put the chart line code against against each entry.

Then

1- Many activties related to one itme of BOQ -

Sort and total the relevant resources and add to the chart task.

2- One activity related to one item of BOQ

Just add the resource to the task

3- One activity related to many items of BOQ

Copy the BOQ item for each task number then allocate the total resource to the the activities pro rata to respective durations.

If you are modelling durations by the resources then you will have to put a realistic gang size into the formula.

Best regards

Mike Testro
If you create the construction model you will have many activities for concreting, each for certain amount (volume).
If your model is not very detailed then you may choose to set one activity that includes both concreting and reinforcement. This activity will consume both concrete and metal.
The total quantitiy is the sum of amounts on separate activities.

Regards,
Vladimir
Osama Warid
Thanks
NOw for case No. 1 how the many activities will reflect the amount of single itme in BOQ.
and the same for the case No. 3

Regards,
Hi Osama,
usually we relate BOQ items to activities and not vice versa.
All cases that you mentioned can exist in one schedule.
Best Regards,
Vladimir