Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Top 10 - Tender Schedule Review

11 replies [Last post]
R. Catalan
User offline. Last seen 12 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
All,

1) What are the Top 10 to check when doing "Tender Schedule Review?

2) Would it be right for the Planner to refer to the tender schedule when forming his EOT claim?

Thanks,
R. Catalan

Replies

Safak Vural
User offline. Last seen 3 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Dear All,

Generally the tender schedules will be the LVL1 - CCMS (Contractors Master Schedule) which is also fit in to the CONTRACT. Majority of times the LVL4 Schedule will be requested after 14(21) workdays after signatures.

My top ten will be (For LVL1 CCMS)
1-Check for a narrative if there is an obligation in tender documents, if there is an ob. and there is not any; do not look in to the schedule
2-Check if all disciplines mentioned in LVL1
3-Check the end dates of each discipline if they are same as the tender documents.
4-Check if there are any un-fit situations with CONDITIONS of CONTRACT
5-Check the planned start of the project
6-Check if there are any total cost or manhour assumptions, check it with tender docs.

I can find only 6

Regards,

Safak
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Dear R,

Elaborating on your question regarding answer #2: It depends on your project. Once the project starts then you need to submit you Program of Works and get it approved by the Consultant. If events occured and you do not have your program of works approved, then you need to revert to your Tender Schedule.

Again, it depends on the Contract you have. Did the client prepare the schedule as a part of the master plan or did the Contractor submit his schedule as part of the tender documents.

Let us know the type and size of the project and we might be able to help some more.

Kind regards,

Samer
Nestor Principe
User offline. Last seen 12 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
OK Mike, I fully understand.

Cheers,
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Hi R

This goes to the nub of my endeavour to promote Bottom Up Planning with a ban on Planning Abominations.

If you have an electronic copy of the programme it is easy to check if the critical path responds properly to change by putting in a dummey event and linking it to a task off the critical path.

Increase the duration of the event a bit at a time and watch when it turns critical. This should be at the same point as the total float of the impacted task.

If it turns critical sooner or later than the available float the critical path has been rigged and will not respond dynamically to change.

If you link the dummy event to a task that is showing critical then any increase in the event should show an identical increase in the completion date - allowing for holidays in the calendar - if not it has been rigged.

I have never yet created a true bottom up programme where more than on critical path has been generated - the available combinations are too vast for it to happen naturally.

There are subltle ways of taking tasks off the critical path and shifting it elswhere.

In PowerProject for instance you can take 2 hours off the duration of a critical task - it will still show the same dates and duration in days - but the critical path will shift to another route.

Best regards

Mike Testro
R. Catalan
Mike,

Could you please elaborate more your contributions on the following:

"A more subtle check is to see if the critical path is responsive to change".

"If there is more than 1 critical path the programme has been rigged".

Best regards,
R. Catalan
R. Catalan
Samer,

In my question # 2, if you allow them to refer to Tender Schedule for EOT claim and there’s dicrepancies against the approved Contract Baseline Schedule, what will be the order of precedence?

Best regards,
R. Catalan
Mike Testro
Hi Nestor

With all due respect to every conributor there is still room for some gentle leg pulling now and then.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Nestor Principe
User offline. Last seen 12 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Let’s give due respect to every post. It’s all mean to share ideas no more no less.

Cheers,
Samer Zawaydeh
Hi R,

It depends on the size and type of project. If it is a major project then you will be dealing with high level Milestone Schedule. On the other hand, if it is a regular project with detailed information about the activities and the duration that each activity will take, then use Mike’s recommendations and proceed with asking for all the details of the regular schedule.

Hi Mike,

Glad to hear from you. I always sign with the time shown on the letter as well. It would be a nice touch to add the seconds from now on.

With kind regards from Jordan,

Samer
Mike Testro
Hi R

A more subtle check is to see if the critical path is responsive to change.

If there is more than 1 critical path the programme has been rigged.

You need an electronic copy for this check.

Things to be wary of are:

1. Start restraints
2. Lead Lags
3. SS - FF links

Also check the calendars and work patterns to see if they replicate the anticipated work conditions.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Hi Samer

I have noticed an interesting trend in your threads in that you are timing your input.

I think this should be encouraged to all PP members.

This one took me 135 seconds.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear R.,

Answer #1 quick review in 5 minutes of less:

1. Correct WBS.
2. Constructability.
3. Complete BOQ items included.
4. Include sufficient review period.
5. Check for long lead items.
6. Check for works completed by others.
7. Identify Milestones and their schedule.
8. Check for Payment schedule
9. Ensure handing over dates of the site is shown.
10. Make sure that the review period of all submittals is shown on schedule.

Answer #2: Of course. It is part of the Contract documents.

Best Regards,

Samer