Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Top tips for planning

5 replies [Last post]
Bob Foden
User offline. Last seen 7 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear Experts,

I've been invited to a group wide discussion on planning best practise. One of the deliverables at this bash will be "Golden nuggets" in the planning world. Very early on in my career I learnt that, in general, engineers have difficulty in keeping to any schedule and are happiest when solving the minutest of issues rather than seeing the commercial picture and stopping when "fit for purpose" or the product meets the spec. So my nugget has been to include very clear milestone deliverables so everyone knows when the required objective has been reached (so the engineers can stop and move on !!)

I would appreciate any feedback or other nuggets that people have.

Thanks in advance

Bob 

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Kamesh

Thank you for the kind offer.

When I look at software such as Spider and PowerProject I realise that P6 is rubbish by comparison.

Just look at the topics on PP and compare the threads.

P6 is all about problems and how to get round them - a lot of them regarding database links.

Spider and Powerproject is about better ways of use.

When I can put different colours on each task I may re consider my opinion - but it will still be multicoloured rubbish.

Best regards

Mike Testro

kamesh avasarala
User offline. Last seen 3 years 44 weeks ago. Offline

i will give you online training , after attened classes for p6 online classes with me then no body will tell p6 is waste , every body can use in veery case in all ways . if still doubt attend demo class if you want , taken online training and use this in your project work then will understand the use of p6. can call me number for traing +91 7702485290

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 6 hours 45 min ago. Offline
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Rafael

Another gloriuous three tequila late night diatribe - brilliant.

I just hope Bob appreciates irony.

My nugget - steer well clear of P6 - its rubbish.

Alternativle have a look at the thread - Ban These Planning Abominations - to see a whole panful of fresh gold.

http://www.planningplanet.com/forums/planning-programming-training/419054/ban-these-planninng-abominations 

Best regards

Mike Testro

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 6 hours 45 min ago. Offline
  1. Forget about quality, schedule rules.
  2. It is my schedule, not yours, I am the boss.
  3. If you cannot met it is because you are not a good performer.
  4. The schedule came out of a computer, you must be wrong.
  5. Let me teach you how things must be done.
  6. Your way is the wrong way, mine is correct.
  7. Leave some bolts loose, they are irrelevant in term of cost, if the airplane crashes we will sell another. If a safety valve, don't install it, it is needed only on emergencies, is a waste of time and money.
  8. Milestones are written in miles of stone, ... fit for purpose is enough, and maybe not even fit for purpose is required just the date means it is done. As you just said; "... my nugget has been to include very clear milestone deliverables so everyone knows when the required objective has been reached (so the engineers can stop and move on !!)... has been reached , has been reached , has been reached  ...
  9. Hire engineers happy with low quality products, will make it easier for you, your schedule and your budget. Maybe you shall consider establishing a company of your own and hire no engineers, you do not need them.
  10. Leadership is about intimidation, ... Hi-Hitler. Well here Hitler at first day work would got his boots filled with some smelly dirt at first opportunity.