Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Things that PM’s say that make you go MMMMM!

4 replies [Last post]
Andrew Dick
User offline. Last seen 8 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
What is the most outrageous request or demand you’ve been given on a project??

Now this thread started from another discussion but I thought it would be good to extend it.

Basically in the past I’ve been asked NOT to have baselines because “We can be measured against them”

I’ve also been refused resource data which I wanted to load into my schedule o conduct analysis on the required full time equivalents compared to people on the ground, because, “We don’t need to be told we don’t have enough people”

Our fellow PP member Mike Testro quoted a site manager, who once said that "I don’t want none of them link things in the programme"

When asked why not he replied "Cos if I moves one thing all the uvver buggers move and that’s no good to me".

So in the spirit of that let’s see what other things planners have been asked to sell themselves out for.

I reckon it should be a good thread to read later.

Andy

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Hi Mr Shagger

Talking of "float" - how do you make a dead dog float?

Put two scoops of dead dog in a glass of coke.

Keep smiling

Mike Testro
smiling shagger
User offline. Last seen 15 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
PM says " what is Float"

planner; ’mmmmmmm’
(in the heart says : "its root beer float")
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I agree.

There are project team somewhere that deliberately used cpm schedule for claims, claims and claims, etc.

purposes only, it has nothing to do with planning and implementation

So what can you expect?????

That why I agree "good people ...." i’ll add professional planning engineer

cheers
Omar Grant
User offline. Last seen 15 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
A good one Andrew! I guess it proves the point that the greatest ’schedule risk’ resides within the team of people who need to use it (the schedule) the most! I remember many years ago when, after manual CPM analysis we would post a plant shutdown Gantt chart on a ruled up board with magnetic, coloured strips; overnight a shift operator would think it fun to move the strips around! Somehow we still managed to bring things in on time. For all the discussion about planning software etc it always comes back to people and their willingness to participate. Given a choice of a ’good’ system with ’bad’ people versus ’good people’ with a ’bad’ system I will go with the latter every time!!