Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Comparison Table for planning tools - urgent

8 replies [Last post]
kamran hazini
User offline. Last seen 11 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Hi
Is there any table comparing different softwares for project planning and control tools?(such as P3, P3e, MSP,...)

It’s a kind of urgent please.
Thanks
kamran

Replies

Hi kamran,
I have an experience of leveling 274000 activities project in Spider Project and 81000 activities project in P3e. P3e is much slower but can handle large projects as well.
I will not recommend to use MS Project for large scale projects. My experience with MS Project 2003 showed upper limit between 20000 and 40000 activities but in any case it became very slow when the number of activities was high.
Regards,
Vladimir
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 6 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Kamran,
you are right, these were personal experiences which I can’t distribute. The speed of P3 I estimate as high.
Evaluate speed is always personal judgement, of course. Maybe it’s helpful to distinguish speed for:
- Load a project / projects
- Close a project
- Schedule
based on an equivalent IT-infrastructure.
Regards
Dieter
kamran hazini
Thanks Dieter, I have also experienced a 40,000 activities in P3 but a little slow. It seems these information is not registered and achiveble through the web. isn’t it?
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 6 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Hi kamran

From my experience I can just give an information on Primavera enterprise:
I recently had a project with 191000 activities. For management reporting I had to include a baseline - 382000 activities to be loaded. It worked. Database server was Oracle.
There are many more projects in the same database.

In P3 I had up to 40000 activities within one project group. It worked without difficulties.
Regards

Dieter
kamran hazini
Thanks Vladimir, very helpful. Do you have any idea for the maximum capacity of activities each software can handle?
thanks
Kamran
Kamran,
you may look at http://www.spiderproject.ru/library/compare_e.xls
Write to me if you will have questions.
Best Regards,
Vladimir
kamran hazini
Thanks Karim, I saw the results. But actually I need a table to comapre their features and abilities. for example how many activities they can handle and other advantage/disdvantages for each software.
Thanks again
Karim Mounir
User offline. Last seen 9 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi,

Some surveys done in planning planet to compare different softwares used in planning (only shows % of usage of the software):
http://www.planningplanet.com/vote/Vote_Question_Results.asp?vid=1020
http://www.planningplanet.com/vote/Vote_Question_Results.asp?vid=1025

HTH.