Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

>95% ?

4 replies [Last post]
Frans Lasut
User offline. Last seen 15 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Dear All

How to status activities that already achieved more than 95% complete?

If I put 95%, it’s meaningless

If I put 100%, it’s not correct and it’s difficult to put the actual finish date

Thanks

Replies

Karim Mounir
User offline. Last seen 9 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi,

It all depends on the meaning of the percentage you put.
95% of what :
Units or Duration or simply a physical percentage (as in P5).

Regards.
vinod raturi
User offline. Last seen 6 years 4 weeks ago. Offline

It is like choosing between duartion completed and work completed . More reliable would be choosing actual work completed or balance as duration would not make sense especially if one is not working on that task as per estimations.

regards
Larry Bjorn
User offline. Last seen 11 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Frans,

95% can be meaningless as you say. However it can also be very significant, because it tells you that the activity is not complete. As a general statement, If the activity is critical, or possibly to become, then you ought to highlight and remain the activity as non complete. If the particular activity is off the critical path and only an annoyance, than you ought to find a reason for closing it down. The reason will be up to your imagination and resourcefulness. The end date should be in accordance with your reasoning. For obvious reasons, make sure it is stacking up.
David Bordoli
User offline. Last seen 8 years 6 days ago. Offline
I can’t quite remember the saying but it goes something like

it takes 95% of the time to complete the first 95% of the work, then the next 95% to complete the last 5% of the work

I suppose it really matters when your schedule has lots of FS dependencies. When push comes to shove ther are few activities that are truely FS. Try using SS/FF combinations instead and reporting 95% complete (if that is what it is) will be less of a problem.