Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

3D >>> to 4D Planning (Help!!)

7 replies [Last post]
Darrell ODea
User offline. Last seen 18 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I am studying for an MSc in Construction IT.

Will be basing my Thesis on 3D/4D modelling solutions 4 the Construction Industry.

With a little bit of Object Technology thrown in 4 good measure.

Has anyone come across a Company that provide, from inception, a 3D/4D fully integrated solution for Planning and Project Management?

Would be very interested to hear from anyone.

Thanks,
Darrell
odead@sisk.ie

Replies

Andrew Pearce
User offline. Last seen 1 year 13 weeks ago. Offline
Try http://www.synchroltd.com/ this is a new product that keeps the 3D model totally linked to the time schedule.
The other option is to look at Navis works.
Try also http://www.planningengineers.org/software/ has a good listing of most project mnanagement software.
Ali Vessali
User offline. Last seen 6 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
I know her very well. She is great. We had an online meeting with her last month and it was very useful for us. As you propebly know, her company is linked to Stanford University and thay do lots of research about Construction 4D modeling tools.

Good Luck
Ali
Darrell ODea
Sorry, that should read Kathleen Liston, not Hudson.
My apologies Kathleen if you are watching.
Darrell ODea
Thanks Ali again.
Got in touch with Kathleen Hudson, their President.
Kathleen is going to send me a demo. and we are going ahead with a Webex. Thanks again for the info. Will keep U updated, on my progress with this.

Regards,
Darrell
Ali Vessali
Hi Darrell;

You can ask them to send you a 30 days trial application and play with that. I did already and its amazing. You can import a 3D model and schedule database to this application then make links between 3D components and your activities in the schedule. Now you are able to see visually how your project will build and if there are any conflicts in the schedule you can recognize them in advance and make proper modification in the schedule accordingly.
Even more, the application let you to define the type of each activity as:
1- Construct (The related components will appear in the screen at the time frame of activity and remain till end of project – to show construction activities such as Foundation, Concrete Slabs and Columns, Steel Structures, Mech/ Elect Equipment and ….)
2- Demolish (The related components will appear at the start of project and will disappear at the time frame of activity – to show demolition activities such as Excavation, Demolish existing building and ….)
3- Temporary (The related components will appear at the start date of activity and will disappear at the finish date of activity – to show temporary activities such as Cranes, Formworks, Site offices and other temporary facilities)

There are several 3D viewer tools designed in this application, which are very useful to view all details of the building from different viewpoints and even have a look inside the structures. Also you can create several SnapShots of each time period of your project.

Ali

Darrell ODea
Thanks a lot Ali.
Have emailed the company, 2 see if they will have a chat with me. Have you used their application(s) yourself.
What was your experience? Good, Average, Fair etc.

Regards,
Darrell
Ali Vessali
Darrell;

I think this link can help you.
www.commonpointinc.com
They have developed a powerful 4D application which you can use it for all kinds of projects. Just go and try it.
I would be happy if I can help you more. My E-mail address is "avessali@ellisdon.com".

Good luck,
Ali Vessali