Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Project Planner Vs Planning Engineer

11 replies [Last post]
Suraya Hani Hussin
User offline. Last seen 7 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia
Hi!!!

Can anyone explain what is the different between Project Planner and Planning Engineer?

Thanks.

Replies

Florante Ileto
User offline. Last seen 12 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
To : All

A Planning Engineer definitely is a project planner but not the other way around.P3 as a tool can be learn even you are not an Engineer.An Engineer can (or must) see more than what is the result of the schedule.The task or duties and reponsiblities of a Planning Engineer is far more than just project planning.

But the difference can only be realize for a big project requiring more than one project planner, if you are the only one in your department or in your company there is no difference at all.
Reynaldo Y. Calay...
User offline. Last seen 13 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Project Planner
Planning Engineer
Scheduling Engineer
Planning and Scheduling Engineer
Planner
Scheduler
Tracker
Secretary using P3
Screen Jockey
etc.

which one do you want to be called.......

it depends upon the company.....the company’s set up

in the company that i am working for it start as
Junior Planning Engineer
Planning Engineer
Project Planner
Senior Planning Engineer
Planning Manager

Planing Engineer sounds engineringissssssshhhhhh
Project Planner sounds like your in charge of the Project

for me its the same job description........

Izam Zakaria
User offline. Last seen 7 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
The answer, he know nothing bout planning jobs and never apprehend deeply the queries there.
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Larry,

I think you’ve got it pretty well spot-on.

Chris Oggham
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Samar,

The thread is about Project Planner VS Planning Engineer.

Please let us know why you compare project planner and project engineer.

Cheers,

Charlie
Izam Zakaria
Samar, u can say whatever u want here... and lucky u involved with building works....let me brief u shortly here...as known oil gas platfroms is more complicated than others... which we need to setup detailed design till 1st start up of turbine compressor at offshore...

detail design-procurement-construction-loadout-precomm-comm-modification-transportation-hook-up-pipeline umbilcal installation-comm.......is the parts of oil and gas...

is it neccessary to tell u about hydrotest,re-instatement,flooding system and etc.

taht’s comparison between oil and gas and building....

hope stated intelligible and clarified...
Samar Ramadan
User offline. Last seen 17 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
hi dears

as I am a planner engineer and project engineer in the same time I can clearfy what about these two position
planner engineer is the one who responsibal for plan the time schdual for the project on P3 from design stage till end of construcation stage all of the project schdual with its update and diffrent stages of the project

project enginner is more deeper in that field he is the one he manage all of that and coordinate it in design stage and construaction stage with a mamagement system and quality assurance system

in addation follow up the applyications of time schdual and claims and any others data could update the schdual

so the planner enginner with the talent and experiance of project enginner = perfect enginner

Samar
Brennan Westworth
User offline. Last seen 6 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
I think some people like to have the title "engineer" tacked onto their job title.

I am just a planner
Suraya Hani Hussin
User offline. Last seen 7 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia
dear Izam & Larry,

Thanx.. ur comments.

regards,
Izam Zakaria
Actually nothing diffrent between project planner and planning engineer.I dare to say that, coz I’m facing the same problem here which mostly project planner more acting than planning enginneer. To be frank here it’s depend individual skills on computerise and knowledge on site.

P3 just only tools, and the technical knowledge is more important.

But the planning engineer I met before, is very talented and briliant but they gone already...instead of the new planning engineer....rite now...for me is nothing
Larry Bjorn
User offline. Last seen 11 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Hussin,

This is what I understand the different titles to mean:

Project Planner – a planner in charge of the planning discipline for a project. He will be part of the Project Management team and responsible to revise and keep a close eye on design, procurement, & site progress. He will be responsible to produce the Master Programme and Construction Strategy. He is likely to be the person setting-up & maintaining project control reports.

Planning Engineer – involved in larger projects and part of the operations team. He will be expert in scheduling detailed programmes and provide data for project control purposes. He will estimate detailed labour requirements and likely to assist in material procurement.

This is my general understanding of the different titles. However, I might be wrong and keen to hear other planners view on this.

Regards,