Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Programming for Passenger Terminal Building for Airport

3 replies [Last post]
Haresh Jayanth
User offline. Last seen 6 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
I want to have few planning tips from the forum experts before planning for a passenger terminal building for an international airport.

The building Y Shape is which is divided into three components

1. Deparature Hall.
2. Arrival Hall.
3. Central Concourse.

The central portion is having a Mezzanine floor. The duration of the project is around 480 days. The program is to done for only Finishes and architectural work , i.e structure will be done by other contractor.

The main internal finishing work include blockwork , plaster , External cladding , internal cladding to columns , metal works i.e Gaurds rails fixing etc , MEP works all 2nd fix works , wood works i.e. counters etc, painting , lifts , escalators , screed , tiling both granite , staircase finishes and ceramic tile etc.

The issues l would like to get comments from experts are as follows:

 How to safeguard myself from the delay if caused by the Structure contractor?

 What will be the testing & commissioning time to be allowed in the program for a passenger terminal building?

 What will be my critical activities.

 Which area of the building to start first???????

 The construction of this building requires so many coordination from other contractors, since many different works are allotted to other contractor?????? How can I safeguard from the delay caused by other works??????

 What are the long lead items to be considered for planning terminal building?????

Replies

Christian Adrian ...
User offline. Last seen 4 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello Haresh

The guys are right... also I would like to add some thoughts as well..

How to safeguard myself from the delay if caused by the Structure contractor?

* Have a knowledge of your contract. I assume that you have a Keydate or an Interface milestone in your contract kindly monitor them accordingly, If not then follow Alex’s suggestion.

What will be my critical activities?

* This will depend on how you plan to complete your project but from my view those activities should be related to structures, equipment, and airport systems, which is crucial to the operation of the airport.

HTH

Christian
Se de Leon
User offline. Last seen 2 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Haresh,

If airport systems is part of your contract, don’t forget to include it in your programme. Even if you complete your structure, an airport will not work without it. For this, you really need to identify very clearly the interface among various airport systems in relation to structure completion.

Even if it’s not part of your contract, you should be aware of the interfaces between structure and airport systems.

Most importantly, plan very well your operational readiness and trials.

Hope this helps.

SE

Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Haresh

How to safeguard myself from the delay if caused by the Structure contractor?

You need to build a Create a Interface milestone from the civil structure and a true Critical Path that take up most of the float in accordance with the Contract.

 What will be the testing & commissioning time to be allowed in the program for a passenger terminal building?

The contract seem to including E&M works as well as fitouts
I think you will need at least 20% of time to do local commissioning (Once an area is completed) and 10% to have integration test (Once the entire trade finished) + another 10% for signoff (The all trades are finished). The best is talk to your sub-contractor for trade like lift, escalators, because they might have a longer period.

 What will be my critical activities.
Depends on your Critical Path without resource link

 Which area of the building to start first???????
When the contract handover date for each area (Civil structure completion date)

 The construction of this building requires so many coordination from other contractors, since many different works are allotted to other contractor?????? How can I safeguard from the delay caused by other works??????

Indicate all the interface activity and build in in your critical path

 What are the long lead items to be considered for planning terminal building?????
Be careful with the lift, and escalator and any bulky equipments, (Counter, Binacal..etc) Make sure your access path is identified in the interface drawing and date of closure is also indicated. Otherwise you might have a problem to deliver the equipment.
And make sure you monitor these items as well and make sure they will not have a delay delivery, because the manufacturing of these equipment can be lengthly.

HTH

Alex