Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Terminal Float

4 replies [Last post]
David Bordoli
User offline. Last seen 8 years 1 day ago. Offline
I have just posted a query in the Claims forum http://www.planningplanet.com/forum/forum_post.asp?)fid=1&Cat=7&Top=33032) about the origins of the term ’Terminal Float’.

Can anyone please help?

Replies

David Bordoli
User offline. Last seen 8 years 1 day ago. Offline
Gentlemen

Thanks for taking time to respond to my question... may I ask that you have a look at the many and detailed responses at http://www.planningplanet.com/forum/forum_post.asp?fid=1&Cat=7&Top=33032 (well, except for the ’meaningful’ contributions from Joseph aka Charlie).

The point of my question was about the origins of the term, not what it meant.

A couple of points on your contributions:

Although the term is often used in connection with the NEC suite of contracts it is not actually mentioned in the documents. This is where, in my opinion, an error has crept in. Commentators have loosely used the word float as an autonym for ’contingency’ - the two are definately not one and the same.

The NEC suite talks about (I think)’contractors risk allowance’. I think that if the contractor programmes the work to finish early then the period of ’float’ at the end of the programme (if the contractor wants that as his risk allowance) must be identified as the contingency period. I don’t think there is a tacit understanding that it is.

Also, there is no reason why ’contractors risk allowance’ should be cionfined to the end of the project. It would be quite prudent to build in a contincency period (an identify it as such) between two critical and risky activities in the programme - say, to ensure that the second activity would not be delayed by a late running earlier activity. That period could not be peroduced by normal CPA without the addition od a specific contincency activity.

Must stop now... I feel I am repeating myself!

Thanks again

David
James Griffiths
User offline. Last seen 15 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Trevor,

I do like your articulation!!
Trevor Rabey
User offline. Last seen 1 year 21 weeks ago. Offline
While this is common sense interpretation of the term, the whole idea raises some other tricky questions about how that chunk of apparently unused time way off in the future was arrived at, how confident anyone can be that it is really there at all and how the various parties to the contract will interpret it.
The matters of who, if anyone, is entitled to use it and what for and how that would be arranged etc etc is only part of the picture, perhaps not the most important, and cannot be considered in isolation.

The contractor doesn’t want to give it away or even show it to the client because he doesn’t have much confidence that it is really there, because it arises from very early planning at tender or contract stage. Further modeling, with more detail which picks up the scope more precisely, might well soak up the reserve. Even if the modeling is perfect at these early stages (it never is, but is often presented as or taken to be an ironclad promise), circumstances during execution will conspire to force or allow the contractor to use it up. Both parties know all this but pretend not to.

The contractor takes the schedule risk and that Terminal Float is just about his only way to mitigate the risk. He knows there is a risk and manages it partly by having a buffer for reserve.
A client would be working against his own interests if he undermined the contractor’s reserve by trying to either stuff some additional scope into the Terminal Float or trying to have it chopped off so that the contract finish date can be dragged to the left.
Even so, we know they try both.
So the contractor is better off hiding the Terminal Float by distributing it to Tasks on the Critical Path, squirreling it away. This is called padding, which is a whole other problem that Stephen Devaux has something to say about.
Stuart Johnson
User offline. Last seen 2 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
David,
My understanding of terminal float is that it is the time difference between a clients stated contract completion and the completion time stated by a contractors programme, ie the time by which a competitive tenderer can beat the client stated time.

Terminal float is owned by the contractor when the client formally agrees to the submitted tender programme. It is not available to the client to use for additional works formally appointed after the contract is let.

It is a term used specifically in NEC3 contracts.

Hope this helps,

Stuart Johnson