Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

New Planning Graduates

9 replies [Last post]
Audrey Abdallah
User offline. Last seen 17 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi all,
I’m fresh and new to the wonderful world of planning. The most frustrating thing about it is everyone wants experience! I live in Calgary, Canada one of the hottest markets in the world and development is booming like crazy! I’m sure everyone knows that already :P Anyhow, my question is where do I start...especially in a oil and gas economy with no experience?

Replies

Nigel Winkley
User offline. Last seen 1 week 1 day ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
I agree with Oscar but one slight change as well as "listen listen listen" add "ask ask ask". Most people are willing to share their knowledge - some because they want to help and some because they want to look/feel important. Who cares. Sharing info is the main thing.

And don’t forget a few years down the line, share your knowledge, you were there once...
Ray Wood
User offline. Last seen 38 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Well said Oscar,

Unless the team understand & are bought into the plan then its just a poster on the wall.

I’ve always found folks are more than willing to share their knowledge with you, these are the people with the experience - USE IT.

regards

Ray
Oscar Wilde
User offline. Last seen 16 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
The basics of planning are
Read the drawings
Read the spec
Talk to everybody who knows anything about what your planning
decide the most appropiate method of getting your plan across (this depends on who the plan is for)
Do the plan
Show it to as many of the people who will use it as you can and seek their opinion
Then incorporate their comments.
Forget all the BS about pert and curves and CPM its jargon not required on the journey
Follow the plan and listen to the feedback

Essential planning tools listen listen listen listen listen
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Audrey,

As far as your PMP Certificate is concerned, can’t help you much there as the people I deal with are based in Britain. You could try The International Project Management Association, their website (link below) might have something, or possibly if you contact them they might be able to help

IPMA

Sorry I can’t help more.

Chris Oggham
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Audrey,

Always remember the basics in planning: PERT/CPM, S-curve (progress curve), productivity, quantity take-off.

Everytime you plan, apply first the basic principle/basic theory you learn in University.

Cheers,

Charlie
Audrey Abdallah
User offline. Last seen 17 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Thank-you Ronaldo and Chris for your posts. It’s really nice to get any advice when you are just fresh out of uni.
I will definitely try to get my hands on those books, thanks Chris. Also thanks for the offer to help Ronaldo b/c I will definitely take you up on that once I get a job :)

Ciao for now.

PS: Enrolling in a PMP (Project Management) certificate soon. Any suggestions? (Online programs or in Calgary)
G. Cytow
User offline. Last seen 13 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
I’am in Fort McMuray Alberta

Just getting use to P3 3.1v

? I have about using activities and mhrs

If u have a total of 50 Pipefitters, 50 Welders , 50 Pipefitter Riggers , 50 BoilerMakers how does 1 associate the mhrs with different activities , would one have to add up total units/per activities/cost

Letsay 1 activity takes 2 PF 10 hrs each to complete a task
for a total of 20 hrs

Do u set up resouce for the PF @ $35.00/hr then resource assignment for the PF

Quantity = 20.00

Units per day = 20

or is there another way of doing mhrs ?

Well another ? I have.I read on this forum about setting up activitiies pipe spooling , but wouldn’t it be confusing to the planner if he had all the activities linked to pipe
fabrication , wouldn’t it just be easier to use Line # BFW-0001 x# of PF and Welders
BFW-0002 x# of PF and Welders

a planner would have 1000’s of activities if he listed all the steps involved in fabrication

Has anyboy used P3 as a tool for QC ?

Installation
Line #
PipeHanger
SpringCan
Guides
Anchors
FieldWeld #

Pipefitter by Trade / with 25 years exerience , and new to P3 , so any help would be appreciated using P3

I do know 1 thing for sure :) after using P3 gives a person a better understanding on how things are on the other side :) and this all started out to be a "HOBBY" , maybe I might be able land a job doing this .

Thankyou

Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Audrey,

Ronald is right and he’s given you a couple of good pieces of advice. As far as the PP forum is concerned, there are a lot of people who’s knowledge and experience of planning is incredible and they are more than willing to share it. If you have a problem, get a posting on the forum and you will get the information you need very quickly.

As you become more familiar with the forum and the people who use it, you’ll notice certain people have expertise in particular areas. If you have a problem in that area, and are really up against it, use the forum’s private mail facility and ask them for help directly.

Below, I’ve included links to a couple of sites I always find useful:

Planning Engineers Organisation
Wideman Comparative Glossary of Project Management Terms

Good Luck, I hope everything goes really well for you.

Chris Oggham
Ronaldo Quilao
User offline. Last seen 9 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar
Hello Aubrey,

Welcome to the wonderful world of head banging! Well the good start are:

1. Be smart and have a lots of patience. Try to enhance your knowledge basically by reading some pertinent planning reference, related past project detailed work schedule, try to study it, the relationship, the sequence of each activity, etc....
2. Find some good guys out there (like me!)who are willing to teach you the "dirty works" of planning and scheduling. Most probably your boss...try to convince your boss....I am sure he do...if he needs to "live a legacy" he will be willing to share his knowledge to his subordinates...if not just tell me...then we will do with the help of our fellow planner...

Keep it up...