Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Logistic.

13 replies [Last post]
Marcio Sampaio
User offline. Last seen 11 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Hello all PP members;

Do u have any experience on using Primavera, MS Project or any other PM software to plan and control logistics operations/process?

Regards.

Replies

Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Charlie,

I think you are confusing the terms logistics and production, logistics are very much part of projects and military operations, which is always unique. You also get logistics in production. Logistics is moving materials, resources, etc. and cannot be classed in the terms you described. It can be either way.

Regards

Philip
Marcio Sampaio
Yes ... i agree ... think that every one here know that ... but a logistic operator can also have specific requests that requests specific plans and procedures ... with a finish date, critical activities, risks, recovery plans etc. ... similar to a project, a complex logistic operation ... and the client whants a daily control with daily reports ... so, in these cases, i think that a logistic operator can use a pm software to control ... maybe we could sometimes forget what books say and use our mind to find answares to problems and get resoults to our companies ... i’ll try ... maybe it will work, maybe not ... if not, I assume the responsibility.
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Hello guys/gals,

Please take note Marcio is refering to "Logistic Operations".

so PM software is not vaible for use in Logistic operations.

Project Management is different from Operations.

Project comes first then whatever lesson learn in project maybe incorporated in operations.

The bussword: Project is unique; operations are repeating

No way can the software use in projoect management will have significant impact in operation.

As an example Project must finish (target) in a specific date while operation will continue in the lifetime of an organization.

So our Primavera software P3.1 or Pv5, MSP, etc. are effective for use in the event that project will have specific/contratual start and finish date. It has no relevance in logistic operation for example delivery of oil/gas from one country to another in the next five, ten or twenty years.

If i did not make myself clear, please search for reading materials regarding Project vs Operations. search the net use google.

Cheers,

Charlie
Philip Jonker
Hi Marcia,

I understand there is a upgraded version which ca handle 2000 plus activities in the new future.

Regards
Marcio Sampaio
Thanks Philip ... very good idea.

Contractor has a limit of 750 activities and uses a .XER extension (and a good price). I’m considering that i’m going to have small projects, thats why the idea of using Primavera Contractor ... but i will study your idea.

Thanks again and regards.
Philip Jonker
Marcio,

Just remember that P Contractor is limited in the number of activitiesthat you may have, the full blown version has no limits. Also, in the contractor version, you are limited to one project.

The way I would handle it in the full version, is to run short duration activities in one project and long duration activtities in a second project. You can run one project in hours, and the other in days, and set up calendars the way you want them. the beauty is you can apply logic between thesse calendars and still get good answers. Just an idea.

Regaeds

Philip
Marcio Sampaio
Thanks Philip,

In a Logistic process, u can find activities with small duration and big duration. eg. an emition of a bonded document/liberation and a sea transportation.

Btw a logistic process has few activities an i’m intending only to control activities and show a forecast date to the client/company directory as a report ... so im thinking about using Primavera Contractor.

Regards.
Philip Jonker
Hello Marcia,

For logistics you need to plan by smaller time units, for this the problem is always the duration of the overall program, as you reduce the planning units, the time scale reduces, ie if you are are planning a project over ten years, your planning units if in days are approx 36600, whichis very simple. However, if you try and plan a project in hours, for the same duration, the planning units you need to use becomes 878400 hours, convert this to minutes and it becomes 52704000, convert this to second and the the numbers are astounding. The point is, That dependant on what you do, the software must be able to handle the action. Open plan eg is better at handling short time units, as it was mainly developed for military purposes. when you talk about logistics, it is simular. So pick your software according to your needs.

Regards

Philip
Marcio Sampaio
Thank u all for your response.

Regards.
Gordon Blair
User offline. Last seen 6 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
In so much as the logistics of equipment and personnel moves for a distinct project roll out, then yes, it’s quite common.

With regards to perpetual day to day logistics management, the possibility is there, but I’m sure that there are logs apps available that would be more suited to the open ended nature of the role.

I think there’s a different breed of logisticians out there who perhaps don’t even realise they’re planners, but they are... lucky souls ;o)
Zhang Haixiang
User offline. Last seen 3 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
I have not used MSP/P3 for logistic planning.
we only use excel to tracking on port/on site date...

IMO P3/MSP can be used for this purpose.
access road / unloading area... can be used as resource

You can try it.

BTW how complex it is, Can you give more details?
Marcio Sampaio
Anyone with experience in logystic operations schedule?
Marcio Sampaio
Is it common to use PM softwares to plan and control logistic operations?

I’m talkin about a very complex logistic operations that requires a very good control.