Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Production Rates in different countries/continents

12 replies [Last post]
Richard Quek
User offline. Last seen 17 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi all,

This tread is a contination from the "Improving PP website".

Welcome!!

As stated before, I am new & novice to scheduling but like to know more & hopefully will benefit like many others from those of you who have the vast experiences from around the world can share your knowledge & experiences with us.

Reference to the PP Production Rates and it is true that there are 3 categories(slow,avarage& fast). How to make use of it?

To narrow this discussion futher, can we assume that:
1) Items 35 to 39(Demolition)
2) Can we assume that the purpose is a flesibility study for a Client who wish to start a project.
3) For this purpose, perhaps we can narrow to say, (EU)Europe, (AS)Asia, (AUS)Australasia, (NA)North America and (O)Others.

Queries:
1)What are the appropriate data to be used?
2)What are to be assumed as a planner & who to obtain the relevant info from?

Please do feel free to add or advise to improve this tread. I just thought a basic down to bare bone items to start with so those of us who are novice can pick up & run with it, otherwise we might be swamped with jargons or Level 999999 items & unable to comprehen when we are only atlevel 1.

Thanks

Richard

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hi Lady Dennise

You have woken up a six year old thread - this is close to the PP record.

Please put your topic on a new thread so that I can disable this one.

Best regards

Mike Testro

lady dennise fuentes
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline

hi all:)

can anyone give a standard rates for prelim activities? espicially high rise building:)

thank you:)

Edgar Ariete
User offline. Last seen 5 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Raja,

We’re still on the basics. Determining production rates to calculate task durations. Leave the reports, otherwise you’ll end up calculating milestones (you don’t need P3 then).
Raja Izat Raja Ib...
User offline. Last seen 12 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Edgar,
Yes, U can relate time with cost, Time is money.
We use tabular report in P3 to summarize the cost for daily activities or using report writer. Is that the answer u want.
Any doubt u can elaborate your question i try to explain as good i can.

Edgar Ariete
Hi Raja,

I understand you’re using codes. My question is, can you relate cost with time?
Raja Izat Raja Ib...
Hello my friend Edgar,
Long time didnt see your post thread,
Actually we use BQ, Cost together with the Manhours, which already being extract by Cost Control Engineers included with Activity code. So we apply in the schedule base on their coding, if we going to detail up / change the activities we have to liase with Cost Controller to break the cost. Only thing is we(Planner) have to control the sequence and monitor. Also we use the same method for the Engineering procurement. Its seem working very smooth.

Edgar Ariete
Raja,

Are you using cost to calculate durations? Production rates are applicable to measurable items (in terms of quantities with corresponding units)...a lot of variables.

Supposing, you need to include Design & Procurement activities into your construction schedule to get the overall picture, how do you consider this? Or is there any applicable production rates on this area?

cheers
Richard Quek
Hi Raja,

Thanks.

How or what do you know to arrive at dividing twice with referenec to your Sudan project? or other country

Is there a standard/guide somewhere that help to advise which country or region have a factor to be applied? Where I can obtain such a factor?

eg if say, excavation: whether it is Sudan or the PP Production Rate(which country it is based on????)or UK, the excavation is either manually or machine(say 360 excavator). Isn’t the production similar in all the countries? Unless you are saying in Sudan they take twice as long as somewhere else? Why?
Raja Izat Raja Ib...
Hi Richard,
to answer your question i can say yes, its totally difference because i have to divide twice to get the exact trend when we working at Sudan. what I can say its depends the environments, Technology, categories of skills worker in the country its self .

regards
Richard Quek
Hi,

So looks like your company gather internal data from previous projects to get to average then the planner make allowances (Contigencies) when planning for the next project in view that you think the records were not accurate.

Just a matter of interest, are there any differences in the PP Production rates compare to where you work?

Are there great differences?

If so, in your opinion what are the differences contribute to?

Since I am not fimiliar with pre contract plannning, who or where do the planner obtain the relevant info to programme for the schedule usually issued in the Enquiry documents?
Raja Izat Raja Ib...
Hi Again,
Like our project we get the basis from the earlier project already build by UK company, we do feasibility study base on their actual info that they have, its contribute much to us. From there we can study and analyse the production rate we going to use.
The best way to get nearest production rate is define the qty, cost and manhour per sq ft.
The reason the production rate is very poor is because interms of skills, environment, equipment that make it slow. They have a skills worker but few. This because of their country in progress developing, cannot be blame not their fault. As professional we have to study their culture trend of working.
Thats all...cheers

Raja Izat Raja Ib...
Hi again,
this is base on my past, actually we have our own database which from previous job (similar or nearest look alike the propose project. From the actual qty, manpower and budget we do feasibility study and come out with a report and summarize each production rate. From the first project to the second and to another. Each time we try to minimize the budget, qty etc until we get the norm of prod rate. that will be fix in our data base but normally we cannot get as it is because its hard to applied at site.
As the problem is (example on manpower):

1. Contractor keep pulling rope with client by putting name of skill workers but they were supplying non skill workers.
2. Workers missing in action, sleeping / recess etc.
3. Manpower dont have equipment / machine breakdown.

so how we going to control. what we can do is put wedges / contigency 5% for the excuse like this.

This is basemy past maybe there is diffrent style of controlling in other company. OK

just that for now. Cheers