Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

CS Project

5 replies [Last post]
Emma Seaton
User offline. Last seen 10 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Is there anyone out there who uses CS Project (CS=Crest Software)?

I normally use Primavera 5 and am stuck on an aspect of CSP’s schedulling:

Namely, I want CSP to schedule in the same way that Primavera does. At the moment when I put in an actual start and a percent complete it doesn’t re-schedule the end date. I’d have to manually enter the new end date. Trouble is that the data date doesn’t appear to have any affect on activities - changing it does nothing. I take it using CSP means a totally different mindset.

If anyone out there has some hints on how to use the software more effectively please do shout!!!!

Cheers

Emma

Replies

Oscar Wilde
User offline. Last seen 16 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Why not use power project third of cost of p3 easy to use foreman love it solves the problem

if planning is needed by SA would suggest that you ask for this,
if not try microplanner
Emma Seaton
User offline. Last seen 10 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Let you off on the CAPITALS!!

CSP wasn’t my choice - it’s what I was given - tho’ I use P3 v5 on a day to day basis. Basically, CSP is used so Site Agents can put together their own site level programmes and keep them up to date. It was cheap and easy to use. Which is fine by me. It’s not my job here to do these detailed programmes - I look after the high level/business plans/tenders etc. It would be a bit much to expect site agents to have to run P3e. Way too expensive for starters - before anyone argues me down. Perhaps one day, but not yet.

I’ve no objection to CSP or any other simple planning tool in principle as long as it works. The problem I was getting was that scheduling wasn’t re-forecasting where an activity was slipping so not giving a new finish date. I think I’ve sussed it now - the function I was looking for is called ’Feedback Date’ and it gives the option to slip any activity that hasn’t finished. A bit more like it! Then it’s just a fine tuning of the finish dates.

Oscar Wilde
User offline. Last seen 16 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
EMMA
I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT TYPING IN CAPITALS IS SHOUTING DIDNT KNOW THAT
OBVIOUSLY ARABS TIES CHINESE AND JAPANESE CANT SHOUT IN E MAILS OR ANY LANGUAGE USING NON ALPHA BETA CHARACTERS

TO YOUR PROBLEM WHY USE SOFTWARE 10 YEARS OUT OF DATE IS THE PM A QS
CSP TO MY KNOWLEDGE NEVER REALLY MADE A PIECE OF PLANNING SOFTWARE COMMERCIALLY
YOU CANT MAKE CSP DO WHAT YOU WANT I DONT THINK IT RUNS ON CPM
OSCAR
Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Emma,

I have used CSP, however, it was in 1999. As I am out of the ark, a 1995 model, I have sympathy with you, at least I am only going forward.

All the best

Philip
pmkb .
User offline. Last seen 12 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Emma, I’ve never used CSP, but it’s hard to believe that commercial project scheduling software would not recalculate an updated schedule. Surely there is a setting somewhere that has been overlooked?

Stacy
Participate at the Project Management Knowledge Base!