Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

SCHEDULE PERFORMANCE FACTOR

12 replies [Last post]
Zq qz
User offline. Last seen 12 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
HELLO GENTLEMEN,
WANT SOME HELP. HOW TO DETERMINE SCHEDULE PERFORMANCE FACTOR i.e. considering manhours.

best regards,

MMDonato

Replies

Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Ref. the post that SPI is 1. Yes planningwise but not arithmetically as the formula suggested because how can you have BCWP if the project have not started.
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
There are several ways to generate a curve of % complete targets. We graph the cumulative scheduled manhours from ES to EF. Ie. for day 1, total all scheduled manhours on day 1 and divide by the total manhours for the entire schedule. For Day 2, total all manhours for day 2, divide by the total manhours for the entire schedule and add day 1 percentage.

You can also graph the manhours from LS to LF in addition to the above to display a target range for each day (or whatever your reporting period is).

HTH!

Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems Inc. - Project Management Software, Project Planning Software
Forum Guest
Sorry to be so contrite! but a baseline plan however good or bad assumes 100% efficiency throughout the life of the programme so whether you look at it weekly, monthly the performance index is constant - but it seems a meaningless question - I must be missing something.

However you can assess the risks associated using various techniques - Three-point-estimating is fairly reliable providing the project is not completely new to the organisation. This should give you the earliest/’mid’/latest dates for the project - I suppose you can then set these up as some sort of PPI.
Forum Guest
erm the projected performance index at the start of a project is always 1.
Zq qz
Thank you Gentlemen,
But what I want to know is Projected Performance Index from start to finish of the project (i.e. weekly, monthly,etc... as in - projected %).
Forum Guest
Moises,

Planned or Scheduled SPI is meaningless/no use at all at the start of the project because it will be 0. As you project it, it is also 0 because you don’t have a numerator(Actual Quantity).

Perhaps what you are asking is the projected %Complete using manhours.
Bernard Ertl
Moises,

Your last two posts are confusing to me. How can you determine a SPI based upon actual hours before the project starts? Perhaps I am still not understanding what you are trying to do....

Bernard Ertl
Mehdi Rashidi Ala...
User offline. Last seen 5 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Please see websit PD-Trak FOR YOUR QUESTION.
PD-Trak™ provides key metrics to determine project, product, and portfolio performance
Zq qz
Forum Guest, thanks for your reply. But what i want to know is the schedule SPI, which i want to establish before project starts (i.e. weekly , monthly etc basis).
Forum Guest
Moises,

Im not really sure about your question, but the following might be of help.

Using earned value analysis, just change the cost values to quantity values.

The SPI (schedule performance index) field shows the ratio of work performed to work scheduled (BCWP/BCWS). SPI is often used to estimate the project completion date.

How Calculated

SPI = BCWP / BCWS

An SPI ratio greater than 1 indicates that youre ahead of schedule. Likewise, an SPI ratio less than 1 indicates that youre behind schedule. For example, an SPI of 1.5 means that youve taken only 67% of the planned time to complete a portion of a task in a given time period. An SPI of 0.8 means that youve spent 25% more time on a task than was planned.

CPI (cost performance index) field shows the ratio of budgeted (or baseline) costs of work performed to actual costs of work performed, up to the project status date or todays date. Use quantity instead.

How Calculated CPI is the ratio of BCWP (budgeted cost of work performed) to ACWP (actual cost of work performed):

CPI = BCWP / ACWP

Best Uses This value indicates whether you are over or under budget as of the data date.

Zq qz
Gentlemen,
What i mean is Schedule Performance / productivity Factor / index (i.e. in terms of manhours). In determining the actual it is = earned manhour / Actual Manhour.

Regards
Bernard Ertl
This issue was discussed recently in the Progress Measurement Units thread. If you do not find what you are looking for in there, perhaps you could be more specific as to what you are trying to measure?

Bernard Ertl