Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Different duration for same Project.

9 replies [Last post]
Vipin Peter
User offline. Last seen 6 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi everybody ,

I am a new user of Primavera.

I am facing an issue regarding total duration of a project which is showing two different duration in two systems. I have imported this project to the second system from the first One where it was created.

I have changed defaulf calender and made it same for both the projects .Still it didnt make any difference.

Later i made unit of time in User Preference as same for the both the projects .

It would be very helpful if somebody can help me to solve this issue..

Vipin

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

I do what I can to foster our craft. I am a big fan of Training, Education and Mentoring

I also contribute to the linkedin scheduling forums you can always find me there also.

Ruel Camaquin
User offline. Last seen 3 years 31 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Guys,

Let us all be thankful that we are lucky have the great Zoltan in planning project, although there are others great as he is, but his way of sharing his knowledge in both the software and schedulling is just exceptional.

Cheers!

Ruel

Zoltan Palffy

glad I could help 

Susanna Kate
User offline. Last seen 4 years 3 weeks ago. Offline

Thank you for the solutins especially to Zoltan Palffy.

Zoltan Palffy

Calendars are not associated with a wbs, calnedars are assigned to an activity and then the activity is assigned to a WBS.

you determine the durations not the calendars 

Vipin Peter

Hi,

Thanks for your Post.

In my WBS, activities have three different type calenders are allocated.

So i think , if i give default Calender for all activities,then i wont get same duration.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

Vipin Peter

I have 3 type of calenders allocated for activities.

Default calender which i put is a different one from these 3 calenders.

In my master program from which i imported ,Calender settings were done as stated above.

Zoltan Palffy

just by changing the project to a deflaut calendar this only applies when adding NEW activities. For all of the existing activities they are still on the original calendar assigned to them. You have to ASSIGN the existing activities to the default calendar. Add a column for calendar, filter for ALL, in the calendar column for the first activity at the top select the default claendar and then do a fill down, now re-schedule your project. 

It is ALWAYS a 2 step process adding a calendar does NOTHING until you ASSIGN  the activities to that calendar and recalcute the schedule.

Do you level project resources?

Is finish date different also?

Does your project include dependency lags?

Are there multiple calendars?