Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Primavera P6 vs Microsoft Project

10 replies [Last post]
Tom Tom
User offline. Last seen 5 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

My company currently use microsoft project for all its schedules except for the situation where client requires P6. There is a debate going on right now whether to transition into Primavera or stay with Microsoft. People are hesitant to move to Primavera because they arent familiar with the software and they are very comfortable using Microsoft Project. They have been hiring consultant to do their primavera scheduling for them and its costly and not very effective. My boss has tasked me with finding the pros and cons of using Primavera rather than Ms Project. He is Pro-Primavera. Whats are the benefit of using Primavera over Ms Project. I know primavera is server based and can support multiple users but I am not sure about primavera. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 6 years 52 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Tom

As far as I understood, your question was P6 versus MSP and not if there is a better other software.

Both packages I know from DOS-times to today but no experience with MSP 2013.

I agree to Gary's points. In addition my opinion:

- User Interface: In P6 same basics in all functions; if someone knows one she/he will be able to work with all functions <--> MSP has very different interfaces in different functions

- One project with one team, nothing more: then MSP will work.

- More projects, persons woking in more projects, resources (cranes, earth moving equipment, ...) required by more projects: Big advantage for P6.

- Reporting: A horror with MSP, due to e.g. coding and reporting features much easier with P6 - some reports only possible in P6. But there are third parties who offer add-ons for MSP. (If you'll include costs for those add-ons, no more advantage for MSP license costs.)

- P6 forces to a structural work, MSP allows almost everything

- If we need additional personell for epc-projects: Qualified contractors available for P6, seldom for MSP.

This is my humble opinion as Head of Planning&Scheduling of an EPC-Contractor.

Tom good luck with your selection and regards from Germany

Dieter

Evgeny Z.
User offline. Last seen 38 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Tom,

there were a lot of discusions on this in linkedin:

http://www.linkedin.com/groups/MS-Project-vs-Primavera-153246.S.73209958

http://www.linkedin.com/groups/MS-project-advantatges-vs-Primavera-25618...

Please note, that if you want to use automatic resource leveling, then none of them will probably do, but on short test I did some time ago I found MSP to be a bit better, than Primavera

http://www.planningplanet.com/forums/planning-scheduling-programming-dis...

Zachary,

I am not a salesman. And I did not write anything about Phoenix or Spider (or Primavera, or MS Project). I just wrote that your statement that some package seems very similar to the 'old days' (actually 20 years old) software is not attractive for any software. Do you disagree?

Zachary Walters
User offline. Last seen 8 years 28 weeks ago. Offline

Mr. Liberzon - Again, I don't work for Phoenix. But you do represent Spider Project, and I consider your comment somewhat inappropriate, especially because of your position as a salesman.

If you have constructive advice like people on this topic are looking for, that would be more appreciated. You never know who might be a prospective customer.

Zachary, since "old days" a lot of new functionality was developed. If the software reminds 20 years old tools it is poor reference.

Zachary Walters
User offline. Last seen 8 years 28 weeks ago. Offline

I recently found the website www.PhoenixCPM.com for Phoenix Project Manager software. I have not used the software but I am researching it along with other alternatives to Oracle P6, since P6 is getting pretty convoluted and not staying focused on and devoted to the construction management industry's needs.

Phoenix's software seems very similar to the 'old days' of P3, with all of the purest CPM scheduling features a construction scheduler could need.  I am not employed by the company, and I didn't want to hijack this thread, but I wanted to bring this up in case others knew about Phoenix or other software.

Oracle has taken P6 to a new level with some great features, but ultimately I have noticed its migration toward the 'Enterprise' format, and its price, are decreasingly suited for construction management.

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 45 weeks ago. Offline

I haven't used the latest version of MSP so some of this may be a tad out of date, but benefits of P6 over MSP include:

-Vastly improved baseline and version control capabilities

-More flexibility over assigning relationships

-Better enterpise & shared database functionality

-More powerful coding, organising & display functionality

-better at integrating multiple programmes

-better at managing a programme of multiple projects

-better calendar control

-ALAP becomes useful

-better resource management

I'd agree with Mike that Asta and probably Spider (I haven't used Spider, but have heard good things) is better than either, but not that P6 is not fit for purpose. If your prime driver for moving is to satisfy client demands, then clearly Asta is a non-starter anyway.

Only real negative for P6 vs MSP is the cost of liscences and training, but you would soon recoup that in the saving vs paying a P6 consultant to do it for you. It's a bit less inuitive to use than MSP so there is a reasonable learning curve, but nothing that can't be managed.

Cheers,

G

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Tom

In that case stick with MSP.

You can use a single standalone Asta PowerProject license to open up an MSP programme and then import it into P6 while your staff are learning P6.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Tom Tom
User offline. Last seen 5 years 39 weeks ago. Offline

Thank you Mike. However, I dont think they would be open to anything outside Primavera and MS Project as the clients dictates which one to use.

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Tom

In my opinion both sets of software are unfit for construction time control.

The cost of retraining to P6 and the delay in production would be counterproductive.

There are better products on the market such as Spider or Asta PowerProject.

Do some more research before making any recommendations including the "whole cost" of any changes.

Best regards

Mike Testro