Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Starting out

4 replies [Last post]
Gordon Christie
User offline. Last seen 5 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I am looking to further my career by moving into planning.

I have looked at courses in London but I do not know where to start or what course I should be going on.

After seeking some advice courses are good but how can I get experience within any industry!

any comments and advice would be much appreciated

Replies

Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Anoon,

I know what you mean and I appreciate that. I was trying to make Gordan more relaxed and put a smile on your face. I was at construction sites since the age of 7. My father was a Contractor and I spent the summers managing workers.

Gordan on the other hand, has to find their way now.

With kind regards,

Samer
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Samer,

I did actually worked at that age (labor for construction), with a very little pay (I did not play - once in a while maybe).

At that time, we are not using payloader to load the gravel or sand in a dumptruck (it’s not actually a dumptruck as it cannot dump), we are doing it manually with a shovel, and the shovel is even bigger than my body.

Best regards

Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Gordan,

I would suggest to ask yourself what you love doing most of the time and head in that direction.

Construction was the passion for Anoon at the age of 12 because he liked to play in the sand. But you might enjoy other activities.

Working for big companies might be hard without experience. Therefore, I would suggest that you use your local newspapers, friends and social networks to scan for open positions. Keeping in mind the target industry that you want to work in.

Job fair are also a great source to find potential employers for the simple reason that you will have direct contact with them. Also, linkedin is now full of groups and 80 million professionals are networking their. So get on these new networks and learn how to use them.

Please let us know if you have more questions.

Best Regards,

Samr
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
in Construction - very skinny at the age of 12 or 13, I started with a shovel on hand...