Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Just starting out, need guidance

1 reply [Last post]
dac
User offline. Last seen 13 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi guys, 

I have recently accepted a promotion to a planner in a meat processing business. The process involves buying in specific primals and then cutting them up on production lines to be packed and sent out. We have a forecast and orders come in daily. Currently we use a Excel spreadsheet containing all the primal and retail stocks, a list of all the products and the quantities to produce that day. Plans are created daily. The interesting part is that we build 50% of the subsequent days forecast.

I would like some guidance on the world of planning, are there any bibles of planning that I should read? organisations I should be aware of? 

Any help much appreciated,

Dean.

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Dean

Welcome to planning planet - others will guide you to relevant books and publications - I have never read a book on planning in my life.

In your situation on a production line format it can be replicated in any of the available programming software - I would reccomend Asta Powerproject.

Every thing depends on your variables - for instance if you get a lot of orders can you either speed up production or extend the production day?

The normal type of programming format in factory production is the "ladder" system and you may wish to search the forum for this topic as there has been a lot of discussion.

Best regards

Mike Testro