Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Starting out as a level 3 planner

1 reply [Last post]
Philip James
User offline. Last seen 37 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi AllI have recently moved into a planning position. The role is a level 3 planner  And I would be grateful on some advice. As there is so much information out there.  I have the Paul Harris Primavera book. And where possible, spend some time each day Reading and reviewingIn addition recently passed my APMP  I have 4 projects to review currently. Differing scope One is more data driven, other being construction.  I am to review our contractors programme and feed into a master programme at lvl 3 In addition providing feedback to our project managers.  Feeding back to the project managers I am probably at a stage where I find that a little difficult to add value. As they know the scope and are so experienced. That telling them something the contractors plan says, does not appear to add much value.  If you have some tips for a new planner. A top five for example. I'd be very grateful 

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Philip

The single most important purpose of a construction plan is "does it respond dynsmically to change".

Therefore the things to check - particularly in P6 are.

1. Negative Float - indicates an obstruction in the logic - check the imposed end date.

2. Constriants - Remove them all and reschedule to get the true end date.

3. Calendars - check the non working days and work patterns

4. Logic - at level 3 these will all be SS or FF with lead lags - check to see how realistic they are by doing a Level 4 sub chart.

5. Check for open end logic - try a dummy progress update where the date is beyond the SS lag and reschedule - see what it does for the end date.

I hope that helps a bit - good luck with your new career.

Best regards

Mike Testro