Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Production Rate for Steel Erection

23 replies [Last post]
JV Amande
User offline. Last seen 12 years 26 weeks ago. Offline

guys, any1 knows production rate for steel erection and cladding erection..

thanks.. pls. e-mail me at maraksot_2004@yahoo.com.

thanks.

Replies

Haithem Abdelrahman
User offline. Last seen 4 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Good Day,

Please advise me, how many tons of steel structures (average of light, meduim & heavy) can be produced with 1700m2 workshop area & what is the neccessary machinary i can start with ?

Thanks

Ma Tessa Altavano
User offline. Last seen 4 years 49 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Matthew Edwards, is it true that for erecting peb frames you have erected 20 pcs of steel columns in 1 Tower crane in 8 hours work? If yes, how many Manpower did you use? Thanks. I need help to derive unit cost of labor for the stee works. Please hope you can help.

Alex Rooker
User offline. Last seen 5 years 6 weeks ago. Offline

Kindly provide me with the production rate of steel structure here geometry dash

Jyles Baris
User offline. Last seen 5 years 5 weeks ago. Offline

Please send production rate of steel structure here: jylesronnbaris@gmail.com

Very much appreciated.

Thanks!

abdelaziz elsaid
User offline. Last seen 8 years 22 weeks ago. Offline

Dear all 

kindly provide me with productivity of Concrete items in infrastructure projects

my mail  engabdelaziz49@gmail.com

Best regards

Abdelaziz Elsaid 

abdelaziz elsaid

Dear all 

kindly provide me with productivity of Concrete items in infrastructure projects

Best regards

Abdelaziz Elsaid 

abdelaziz elsaid

Dear all 

Best regards

Abdelaziz Elsaid 

sakela sifuba
User offline. Last seen 10 years 4 days ago. Offline

Hi All

Can anyone assist, currently doing a programme for a structural steel high rise building about 9 floors, average floor area  3200m2, hieght between floors 3.6m

Columns - 24kg/m2 (2.4 tons / column) - about 62 columns per floor size PG 310x300x16x40

Beams- 65kg/m2 (2,5 tons per beam)

about 130 members per floor.

Had meetings with the contractor that will do the erection and they saying they can take 5  working days per floor, did the programme resourced it accordingly as per the outputs they gave me and it came to 55tons/day

Is this possible or rather can this be achived, 55 tons/day? with 5 teams

planning to have two tower cranes on site with a 60m long jib max lifting wieght  2.5 tons at 55 metres.

Thanks

Sakela.

Mushtaque Ali
User offline. Last seen 7 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar

Dear All

Kindly Provide me Productivity of Roof & Wall Cladding.

Where in Roof Space frame + Roof sheet etc.

Wall Cladding height 10 mts and Glass Cladding.

Thanks in advance

Sajid Jaffery
User offline. Last seen 9 years 5 weeks ago. Offline

Can somebody please provide me productivity rates for Waterproofing, Cladding, Steel Panels, roofing and Detail excavation for building. Pls. also advise if there is any online resource available for conversion of quantities too.

Thank you,

Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Matthew,

It depends on the project, experience of the crew and the equipment that the Contractor has available at site.

At one site we had 1 lift of 120 tons per week for the Tower Crane! On a 12000MT project. Whereas, for a light weight structure, we completed 300m2 (two and half floor) in 20 days.

Environmental factors; location, wind speed, time of year also has an adverse effect on the production rate. It must be factored in the Program of Works, otherwise, you will have delays.

For Structural Steel at heights, a lift specific plan must be submitted and approved before work can proceed. The basic idea would be to maximize the safe weight to lift with the maximum number of pieces.

With kind regards,

Samer
Matthew Edwards
User offline. Last seen 1 year 50 weeks ago. Offline
Dear samer & Mike

For installation, I use the production rate of 20 pieces of steel per tower crane per day. Cladding - depends on the type.

Regards

Matthew Edwards
Samer Zawaydeh
Happy New Year Mike,

What you said is correct. Usually steel manufacturers have in-house tracking. Big companies have their own tracking systems that are part of the Conditions of Contract. Suppliers and Erectors have to use these online tracking systems inorder to get their reporting done and invoicing complete.

Having the piece mark as an activity is not a standard procedure. I recommend that the Engineer on the project understand the construction sequence and come up with his/her Own Program of Works with the approval of the erection crews.

With kind regards,

Samer
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Hi Samer

I understand the process that you have described and use of a handheld bar code reader (like in my mobile phone) will track the stockpile and installation of each steel member and this could be scheduled on a spreadsheet.

Such a spreadsheet could also link to the bar chart activity which would have a resource in steel tonnes fixed per day.

Daily progress could be measured against that planned by updating steel fixed with the planned production.

Used with a detailed bottom up plan that would work well.

Thanks again.

Mike Testro
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Mike,

The structural steel models are created based on the requirements of the clients. These are analyzed and designed. Subsequently, detailing takes place and each piece is marked. Shop drawings are generated and issued to shop for fabrication and treatment.

The shipping is done on priority basis or as per client request. For large projects, each piece has a bar code sticker for identification. It is received at site and stored using bar code scanner as well.

Once erection takes place (assuming that you project plan is about construction at site) then each piece that is installed at site is reported back as being installed.

The range for the number of pieces varies a lot; For structural steel you might have up to 20,000 pieces, whereas, for pressure vessels you might has a few as 1 piece with a weight of 1000 tons.

On large plants the range for structural steel can be as much as 60,000 tons that needs to be erected within 1-2 years. Others, you might have 2000 tons (30 pieces) that must be erected during a shut down peried of 3 weeks. This is project dependent. It is bottom up most of the time.

With kind regards,

Samer
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Hi Samer

I have been watching this thread from a distance and I am very impressed with your contribution.

If you are tracking every steel member from factory - shipping - site storage and erection - then how do you link the steel beam to the activity on the programme in respect of location and time.

I have always advocated bottom up planning but this seems to be going too far.

Best regards

Mike Testro
JV Amande

Dear Sir Samer;

Thank you for your immediate kind response to my query.
I am studying about Steel Erection. I would like only to be equipped with ideas and knowledge about (Steel Structures) for career development.

Thank you Sir. Your ideas has help me understand more about the Steel Structures.

Thanks

jV
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear JV,

You are most welcomed. The more you ask the more you understand.

I would like to know what you are studying.

At the same time, please note that the Structural Steel is calculated per ton and the cladding is calculated per m2.

Usually you have a tracking report from birth to installation for each piece of steel. This is tracked from the raw material stage, fabrication, treatment, dispatching, storage at site, and erection. Quality Control records are tracked for each piece and for each stage depending on the Inspection requirements.

The productivity rate depends on the location, environmental factory, and others as explained before.

With kinds regards,

Samer
JV Amande

Dear Samer;

Thank you for your idea about this, i think..

I can use this as reference for some of my estimate works.

Anyway.. I ask about the production rate of steel erection and cladding erection so that i have basis for my accomplishment report.

I think, in terms of the steel structure, i can compute the % accomplishtment in terms of weight of the building.

That is why, i asked how much weight i can install in 8 hours. Do you have any idea if their is standard computation for this?

My idea about this is that, i can compute my % accompl. in terms of wt. for steel structures (such, columns, girts, rafters, eave-struts and so other steel frame.)

for cladding.. i just want to know how many sq.m. can be installed in an hour. (in terms of area)

Thanks for your idea Samer.

This is just part of my studies.. Thank you.
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
It seems that u r talking about pre-engineered buildings.

In PEB, steel erection productivity is not measured in Tons and there r separate productivity rates for girders, crane beams, roof purlins and mezzanine deck.

For roof cladding, it depends on the system to be used. If it is standing seam, then productivity can be as low as 250Sqm per 8 hours of job, but for conventional sheeting, it can go as high as 450 Sqm per 8 hours of job.

With insulation, it will drop by 30-35%.

If the sheets are site rolled, u can hav maximum length (20/30/40m) and so, the productivity will be on higher side. Can reach upto 800 Sqm per 10 hours of job

For liner panels, it depends on height. Howver, for 10-12m height, it can be somewhere around 80-100 Sqm for 8 hours job.

For wall cladding, it depends upon the length of the wall sheet but will always less than the roof sheeting.

Do let us know more details like size of teh building, span, ht and others to be more specific with the production rates.
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear JV,

Please let us know where is the project and at what height you are installing, what is the lifting mechanism that you are using.

Give us a little bit of a description about the system that you want to install.

1. Brackets + Panels
2. Purlins+ Mesh + Insulation + Corrugated Sheets.
3. etc.

With kind regards,

Samer
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear JV,

It depends on the size of project that you have and the construction method that you are using.

Please specify what type of project you have in order to assist you more:

a. Pre- Engineered Buildings.
b. Structural Steel
b.1 Extra Heavy
b.2 Heavy
b.3 Medium
b.4 Light Weight
c. Tanks
d. Vessels
e. Pipe Racks
f. Space Trusses
g. Tensile Structures
h. Poles
i. Towers

With best regards,

Samer
JV Amande

Dear Samer,

Thanks and i appreciate you for your immediate response.

I want to know the production rate in Steel Erection and Cladding Erection.. perhaps this will fall to Steel Structure?

I want to know how many manhours per TONS of steel can be erected...

and how many square meters of roof and wall sheets i can install in one hour?

do you have any idea sir?

thanks and hope to hear your idea again.

thank you.

JV