Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Differences in cost

No replies
Abbas Rajabpour
User offline. Last seen 7 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello all,

I have a project and I want to check it( I am new to scheduling)

Budgeted total cost : 666,827

BL project total cost : 873,327

Budeted At completion : 873,327

Estimate at completion cost : 1,344,157

Actual cost : 1,177,689

EV: 810,122

PV: 873,327

Remaining total cost : 166,468

Why is there a difference between " Budgeted total cost" and BL Project total cost? And should I match them? How?

What should I do if I want to match " estimate at completion cost" and " Budgeted At completion"

Abbas Rajabpour
User offline. Last seen 7 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Thanks David for your kind words and giving me the details, I have not intention to tell a lie, but this is the proceduer that we take in the office.

We just update the cost based on what the Construction Leads give us.

david kelly
User offline. Last seen 3 hours 2 min ago. Offline

This is Earned Value basics, Abbas.

Budgeted Total Cost represents the scope of work in the current plan

BL Project total cost is the same calculation as above BUT from the Project Baseline – it would seem there is about 210,000 less scope in the current plan

Budget At Completion is from the baseline

Estimate at Completion can have variable algebra. It seems that in this case it is the Budget at Completion, NOT  factored by the CPI, plus the remaining cost.  This is very optimistic

Actual cost self-explanatory

Both Earned value and Planned value are based on the baseline. Since the baseline seems to have 210,000 more cost than the current plan, this discrepancy needs looked at first.  

Remaining total cost is from the current plan.

‘Why is there a difference between " Budgeted total cost" and BL Project total cost? And should I match them? How? – Because 210,000 worth of scope has been removed. Why would you want to hide that?

‘What should I do if I want to match " estimate at completion cost" and " Budgeted At completion"’ not sure why you would want to tell lies about productivity, but you could simply overwrite the actual cost with an invented figure……