Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Primavera Layouts

No replies
Abbas Rajabpour
User offline. Last seen 7 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi All,

I am new to scheduling and I have a question.

Before asking my question, just wanted to give you a notice what we generally do( maybe this is a common proceduer in every office):

There is a baseline of the project which is assigned in " Project Baseline" and there is another one which is for the last month and it is assigned in " primary baseline". 

I have updated the schedule in late October and have put all the actuals and everything related to the programme in the software. After that I have baslined the programme and named in for " October" and assigned this baseline for " Primary Baseline".

Now I want to create a layout for myself to see the differences between " September" and " October"

1- Are the assigned baseline Okay? " Project baseline: The main baseline of the project, " Primary Baseline : October's baseline with a data date of 1st of November"

2- What columns should I put there to see the changes? 

I know you may say that all of them can be there, but I want the ones which are useful for tracking the changes between these two months.( September and October).

Activity NameStart Finish BL1 Start BL1 Finish BL1 Actual Start BL1 Actual Finish BL1 Activity Status Actual Duration BL Project Actual Duration BL1 Actual Duration Original Duration BL Project Duration BL1 Duration At Completion Duration Remaining Duration BL Project Remaining Duration BL1 Remaining Duration BL Project Total Float Total Float BL1 Total Float Variance - BL1 Duration Variance - BL Project Duration Variance - BL1 Start Date Variance - BL1 Finish Date BL1 Physical % Complete BL Project Completed Activities BL1 Completed Activities BL Project In-Progress Activities BL1 In-Progress Activities BL Project Not-Started Activities Actual Completed Activities Actual In-Progress Activities Actual Not-Started Activities BL1 Not-Started Activities
david kelly
User offline. Last seen 41 min 41 sec ago. Offline

Abbas, yes. September

Project baseline - data date the Project Start date

Primary Baseline - data date one month ago

Current Project - Data date 'now'

Abbas Rajabpour

Thanks David for your reply

What I understood from your message is :

Project Baseline : " The first agreed baseline of the project"

Primary Baseline : " Last Month's Baseline"

So I have a question about last month's baseline you mentioned.

We maintained a baseline at the end of October fir everything which happend in the month with the data date of 1st of Novermber, scheduled (F9) and named it as " Update _ BL _ Oct 22".

Shall I put this one in the primary baseline or when you say the previous month, you mean the one with this naming" Update_ BL _ Sep 22"?

Abbas Rajabpour

We maintained a baseline at the end of October fir everything which happend in the month with the data date of 1st of Novermber, scheduled (F9) and named it as " Update _ BL _ Oct 22".

Shall I put this one in the primary baseline or when you say the previous month, you mean the one with this naming" Update_ BL _ Sep 22"?

Abbas Rajabpour

Abbas Rajabpour

david kelly
User offline. Last seen 41 min 41 sec ago. Offline

You should:

Set as Project Baseline, the baseline copy made before the project started with the agreed scope of work

Set as Primary Baseline the baseline copy made last month

Add two columns;

Variance - BL Project Finish date (which shows the difference between the current finish and the finish when the scope of work and schedule were agreed)

Variance -BL1 Finish Date (which shows the difference between the current finish and the finish last month)

That should give you plenty to think about... Start by sorting the layout in Variance -BL1 Finish Date order to check whatwent wrong last month....