Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How to create a layout drawing with P6 to show progress on the layout drawing (ie identify space taken)

8 replies [Last post]
Heather Hadley
User offline. Last seen 1 year 29 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi All,

I have been tasked to figure out the simplest way to create a building floor layout plan that works in conjunction with P6 so that activities like "remove transformers" will take the layout of the transformer off the drawing and "install transformers" will put them back.  Or "install scaffold" would show as a scaled square on the layout drawing to show that area is being used.  I am somewhat familiar with 3D scheduling and the lilnk with Navisworks however we do not have Navisworks so I'm looking for maybe a link between Autocad or even a more simple drawing program.

Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!!

Heather

Replies

Tom Boyle
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Glad you found it useful.  Good luck.

Heather Hadley

Also a do-it-yourselfer here and I've tried both the power point and visio path however it's as you said - very labour intensive and this is a massive 4 year, lots of moving parts project that we just would not have the resources to manage.  I do like the looks of the link you sent - just emailed them.  Thanks for the link!

Heather Hadley

Thanks for the suggestions - I will look into both our your suggestions and update if I've created something!

Heather Hadley

Thanks for the suggestions - I will look into both our your suggestions and update if I've created something!

Tom Boyle

Also check out Hito's Flipbook: https://hito.management/services/flipbook/

As a do-it-yourselfer, I've done these things in the past with animated PowerPoints, but they quickly breakdown and get more labor-intensive as the schedule evolves.  For the next one, I'd be looking to a) drop the layout into an MS Visio file, b) parse the P6 schedule into MS Excel, then c) use vba (a macro hosted by Excel or Visio) to create and manipulate shapes based on the dates.  I imagine this is similar to what Flipbook does.  

Tom Boyle

Duplicate

Tom Boyle

Duplicate

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 1 year 2 weeks ago. Offline

Look up a package called Phase Manger: https://www.phasemanager.com/en/ - but I can't seem to get their English site version working. There is a partner of theirs in Germany who may also be able to help: https://planavista.de/en/construction-phase-maps-with-phase-manager-animated-samples/

Let Thorsten know I referred you!