Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Copy Activities between projects having different WBS

6 replies [Last post]
Hamza BENOUFIR
User offline. Last seen 12 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello,

Currently trying to update a master baseline draft, I'm trying to update and add some activities to the MS from another project, but both have different WBSs. Is there a solution or I'll have to manually update?

Thanks.

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Open both projects 

make sure that you are in the WBS folder then copy activites from 1 project to the other 

Bian Mutang Tagal
User offline. Last seen 1 year 30 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Hamza,

Probably you could try a quick verification on your side using the Update Baseline feature as suggested by Zoltan and see what happens (make a backup of your draft baseline first). 

The baseline to attach is basically your master baseline draft.

Hamza BENOUFIR

Since I'm still developping the Baseline, no BL is attached yet.

Hamza BENOUFIR

I haven't explained the case well, I opened both projects, the activities in both share the same activity IDs, names etc.. (minus a few exclusions). The difference is that the WBS where these activities are stored under.

For example

Project (Old) : Activity 1 is under WBS 1.1.1

Project (New) : Activity 1 is under WBS 1.2.1.1

The problem is that There are many activities like this stranded accross multiple WBS. (I can filter them in the activities tab).

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 1 year 2 weeks ago. Offline

Have you opened both projects at the same time? You can then Group by WBS or any common Activity codes they may share.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

if there is a baseline attached then you can go to Maintian Baselines and select Update

from here you can tell it what you wabt updated check the second section where it says Add new activities and activity data 

Uncheck update exiting activities already in the baseline 

then select Update options and select General Activity information 

activity code assignments 

relationships

WBS assignmnets and anything else listed

then select Update 

you will receive a message Update process complete

check your results