Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Update Baseline

6 replies [Last post]
Andy M
User offline. Last seen 3 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello,

I am trying to update a baseline using the "Update" button in the "Maintain Baselines" window. I am working on a project that will have multiple bid packages over the length of the project and the owner wants to use earned value management. I do not want to restore the baseline each time activities are added because I am concerned about human error when making the relationships between the new activities and old activities in the baseline match the relationships in the schedule. It has also been recommended that making a new schedule for each bid package would not be wise.

To test the update baseline function, I have added a new activity to the schedule. The new activity does not have dates in the BL Project Start or BL Project Finish columns. I then go to Assign Baselines and change the project baseline to Current Project. I then go to Maintain Baselines, select the baseline I want to update, and click Update. I then deselect all the check boxes having to do with project data, select All activities, then select Add New Activities and Activitiy Data, then select Ignore Last Update Date. I uncheck the Delete activities and Updated existing activities options. Then I click Update.

I then schedule the project, then go to assign baselines, and change the project baseline back to the baseline I just updated. I also hit refresh for good measure. The new activitiy still does not have dates in the BL Project Start or BL Project Finish column.

Are there any settings I need to check? Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you.

Andy

Replies

Andy M

David, thank you very much for the help. We found an article on the Oracle P6 Support page that addressed the problem we were having, the link to the article is below. Turns out we needed to install a patch. The patch set was P6 EPPM R19.12.5.0. Update Baseline is now working. Thanks again.

https://support.oracle.com/epmos/faces/DocContentDisplay?_afrLoop=383179889479816&id=2677828.1&_afrWindowMode=0&_adf.ctrl-state=1654lrc4mf_250

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 38 weeks ago. Offline
version 19 should be good. It works here It’s a bit late now, but the way I would have avoided the problem is this: ALL growth in scope goes into at least one separate project, which has “current project” as the basis for EV calculations. This means they have their own “Planned “dates as BL1 or Project Baseline dates, and earn value without having a baseline, which is a weird idea for growth anyway. When Base and Growth projects are open together, relationships can be drawn between the activities, and the single schedule calculated. If you open just the Base project, you can tick the “ignore relationship to other projects” button in the scheduling options, and see the schedule with no growth. Of course, with all the projects open, P6’s ridiculous Project-specific WBS code looks, well, ridiculous. The corporate WBS should always be a Global Activity code.
Andy M

Thank you for the posts.

Here is the P6 version: Primavera P6 Professional 19, 19.12.0.34128

I tried restoring the updated baseline, scheduling the updated baseline, then assigning the updated baseline back to the project as a baseline. This did not work.

I tried restoring the updated baseline, scheduling the updated baseline, restarting the computer, scheduling the updated baseline, then assigning the updated baseline back to the project as a baseline. This did not work.

We are going to contact the P6 reseller to see if they can help, and if not, if they can contact Oracle to get a solution. If we are able to solve the problem I will post the solution.

I am still open to and interested in other ideas you might have for how to make it work..

Thank you.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

go project then maintina baseline

the select Update

here you can choose to add new activies to the baseline

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 38 weeks ago. Offline
Version of P6? - update Baseline is well dodgy prior to V16.
Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 32 weeks 13 hours ago. Offline

Hi,

I suggests the following:

1. Restore the Updated Baseline and Schedule then assign back.
2. Restarting P6 or the Computer for the Database to Refresh.

Hopes this will help.