Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 ver 17 help please, copying WBS

9 replies [Last post]
Thomas Nicholson
User offline. Last seen 22 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Morning all, 

I have a schedule and I'm creating another but I need to copy a section of WBS across both using the same ID's. I wouldn't think this a problem as they're different project IDs but P6 keeps renumbering them.

Any ideas if this can be stopped so it keeps the same IDs in both schedules?

Thanks

Thom

Replies

Bian Mutang Tagal
User offline. Last seen 1 year 33 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Thomas,

I normally do it this way.

Let's say I want to copy a WBS from Project File A to Project File B.

1. Create a throwaway copy of Project File A
  2. Open both Project File A and Project File B
  3. In WBS tab, drag WBS from Project File A to Project File B
  4. Delete the throwaway copy of Project File A

Video detailing the drag technique in Step 3 can be seen in this link https://imgur.com/MsJmiKw

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

dod you try doing it while in the WBS section NOT the activity section ?

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 8 hours 41 min ago. Offline
  • Using different software we create the fragnet file from scratch or from an existing project file. Then we use Insert project as a new phase to copy the fragnet into our impacted schedule.  Resources, Materials, Cost components, Calendars, weeks, exceptions as well as links within the selected WBS will be copied.  If activity codes are not used within target schedule they will be copied without any change.
  • 52R-06: Time Impact Analysis AACE 52R-06

Delay analysts do this every day.  It is common when performing basic TIA.

The concept of Fragnets doesn’t exist anymore in P6. It is a feature in P3. In a P3 fragnet, a user can store a set of activities along with their full details such as relationships, codes, costs, resources, etc. and use this stored set to be pasted as an entire group in any number of places with a single click, without having to create the same set again and again. This saved immense time and efforts. One way to do this in P6 is to replicate an entire WBS (or more) and the constituent activities will also be replicated with all the details. If this is supposed to be done across projects, you have to open multiple projects at the same time.

Best Regards, Rafael

Thomas Nicholson

Hi Zoltan, 

Neither original nor the project I'm copying into have that box checked.   It's fine if I use cut and paste but not copy. 

I have a work around but surely it shouldn't matter if it's an empty project there's no need to renumber anything. 

thanks for your help as always. 

Thom

Zoltan Palffy

at the Project level go to defaults and make sure that in the auto-numbering section that increament activiy ID based on selected activity IS NOT CHECKED

Thomas Nicholson

Hi all, 

This is still a problem, simple copy of a WBS structure and all it's activities to a new project but keeping the activity ID's.

I'm using the WBS pane to copy them over but it insists on renumbering for no reason.  Under group and sort I seem to have every option but EPS. 

I'm sure this used to be a simple operation.

Any help or advice would be gratefully received. 

Thanks, 

Thom

Thomas Nicholson

Hi Raymund, 

That's exactly what I'm doing which is why I was confused when it changed all my activity IDs.

thanks, 

Zoltan Palffy

also make sure that at the project level that under group and sort it is set to EPS

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 34 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Hi.

Open both Schedule, in WBS pane copy the WBS from 1 Schedule to another. The ACT ID shall be the same from both.

Regards.