Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Primavera P6 Professional R8.3 - Error ORA-12952 request exceeds allowable database size of 4 GB

6 replies [Last post]
Abraham Jacobus H...
User offline. Last seen 4 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I have started to reduce the number of projects and copies of projects in Primavera P6 8.3 as I have reached the 4 GB space allowance.

All went fine up to a point where I received the message: “The request exceeds the maximum allowed database size of 4 GB”. As from that point I was unable to delete any projects. As the rest of Primavera worked fine I continued with my normal cleaning up of Project activity data, codes etc.

Now some days later I copied an existing Project. In deleting certain activities from the copied Project

I received the following Application Event:

*                EXCEPTION  REPORT                  *

Date:          19-Aug-19

Executable:    PM.exe

Application:   Primavera P6 Professional R8.3

Event Code:    PRMDB-3663-F

PRM DBAccess Error: ORA-12952: The request exceeds

the maximum allowed database size of 4 GB

Following this I logged off from Primavera and via ORACLE Database Express Edition logged in to the Database and did a Compact Storage with the hope that I could recover some unused free space. This was without success and now I sit with an additional problem in not being able to login to Primavera.

The Application Event received is PRMDB-3346-2. Refer Exception Report details below. I’m also including some clips from ORACLE Database Express Edition depicting some storage details.

I will really appreciate any help on this

I urgently need some assistance.

Much appreciated in advance

*                EXCEPTION  REPORT                  *

Date:          19/08/2019 14:52:51

Executable:    PM.exe

Application:   Primavera P6 Professional R8.3

Event Code:    PRMDB-3346-2

PRM DBAccess Error: ORA-12952: The request exceeds

the maximum allowed database size of 4 GB

ORA-06512:

at "ADMPRM$PM.RT_USESSION", line 12

ORA-04088:

error during execution of trigger 'ADMPRM

$PM.RT_USESSION'

ORA-06512: at line 4

Context:

1: TfrmLogin.FormCreate

2:

3:

4:

5:

6:

7:

8:

9:

10:

Detail:

Type:        EprmDBSQLExecutionFailure

Object Type: TCUltraButton

Database Error:

Error Code:     0

System Info

===========

Below are the details re. Storage utilization, Table space and Data file views as per ORACLE Database Express Edition

Storage Utilisation

Space Allocated:5,110 MB

Available: 10 MB

Physical Limit: 5,120 MB

Percent Used: 100%

Details of Tablespace View:

Details of Data files View:

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

your error now appears to be assoicated with a hash value for the memory address being accessed

One of the common reasons for this error is associated with a corrupt layout.

bar-necking can do it so disable bar necking

save the layout as a differnt name 

Another common cause of AVAA errors is corruption within a Users Preference which is stored in the database in USERDATA table.

its hard to say without knowing more of ther erroe instead of ignoring the error get the additional detail for the error and list it here so that the problem can be narrowed down 

Abraham Jacobus H...

Thanks for all the responses/Recomendation.

After the followining steps I successfully could log into Primavera P6 R8.3 (ORACLE 10g Database)

• Truncated REFRDEL
  • Compressed Database
  • Manualy running the Background Process for Setting_name = "HeartBeatTime" and "Interval"

I was then able to delete sections of the schedule starting with activity by activity, then WBS by WBS until +/- 2,000 activities were deleted without any additional errors such as exceeding the 4GB space.

However trying to open two projects simulateous to more easily add relationships between the two projects I encountered the following Event Code - AVAAD-0253-5 "Access violation at address 0063C5E0 in module 'PM.exe'. Read of address BDBD6899

but by Ignoring the error P6 still opened both projects. I actualty closed Primavera and hope someone can explain the reason for this error

Zoltan Palffy

if using oracle database 

How to free space from the 4 gig limit

if running oracle 10G database

option #1 Truncate the REFRDEL table:

Data in the REFRDEL table can be truncated, however this should only be done with ALL users logged OUT of the Project Management database. All retention of data in the REFRDEL table will be lost after this process has been completed.

Launch the Oracle Database Homepage and log in as the ADMPRM$PM account.

The Oracle Database Homepage can be launched by going to

1. Start > All Programs > Oracle Database 10g Express Edition > Go To Database Home Page

2.On the Database Home Page, click SQL and then SQL Commands

3. In the top window, then type: 

Truncate table REFRDEL;

4. Click Run

Note: If successful, a message will appear in the bottom window stating "Table truncated"

now you should be able to log into p6 and delete some activities and then ultimately delete projects do this a few activities at a time.

OPTION #2 Compact your database storage:

Launch the Oracle Database Homepage and log in as the SYSTEM account.

Note: You can login with any account that has DBA privileges to compact storage

Note: The Oracle Database Homepage can be launched by going to

1.Start > All Programs > Oracle Database 10g Express Edition > Go To Database Home Page

2.On the Database Home Page, click the Administration icon and then Storage.

3. On the Tasks list, click Compact Storage.

The Compact Storage page appears and displays the following:

• Space Allocated: Displays the amount of space in MB currently allocated to database user objects.
  • Available: Displays the amount of space in MB currently available.
  • Physical Limit: Displays the amount of space in MB available for database objects.
  • Percent Used: Displays a percentage that indicates the space used in comparison with the maximum database size permitted.
  •  

4. Click Compact Storage.

Note: Compacting storage recovers unused free space in the database. Compacting storage is accomplished in the background using a database job and may take several minutes to complete.

Zoltan Palffy

sent you instructions via email you might have to clear out old data via sql 1st before you can get into p6

are you running microsoft sql or oragle XEg  ?

if oracel XE

option #1 Truncate the REFRDEL table:

Data in the REFRDEL table can be truncated, however this should only be done with ALL users logged OUT of the Project Management database. All retention of data in the REFRDEL table will be lost after this process has been completed.

1. Launch the Oracle Database Homepage and log in as the ADMPRM$PM account.

The Oracle Database Homepage can be launched by going to Start > All Programs > Oracle Database 10g Express Edition > Go To Database Home Page

2.On the Database Home Page, click SQL and then SQL Commands

3. In the top window, then type: 

Truncate table REFRDEL;

4. Click Run

Note: If successful, a message will appear in the bottom window stating "Table truncated"

now you should be able to log into p6 and delete soem activities and then ultimately delete projects

Abraham Jacobus H...

Thanks for the response Zoltan,

My email address is heunesaj@worldonline.co.za

None of these options is a option for now as I need to open P6 first to get to my Projects and that is not possible asI get the message "PRM DBAccess Error: ORA-12952: The request exceeds the maximum allowed database size of 4 GB" when I login to P6

Zoltan Palffy

you have 3 options 

option #1

open a project and start to delete activities then eventually you can delete a project. This is a slow process because you actually need space to delete activities and projects

option #2

create an additional database

option #3

install the full version of microsoft sql this has no space limitations

in addition to the above you can compress the database and the files

You email address is not valid what is your email address ?