Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

ORA-12952: The request exceeds the maximum allowed database size of 4 GB

5 replies [Last post]
hosam ebrahim
User offline. Last seen 11 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear Friends
I use p6.7, oracle. when i try to add new project i recive this message:
""ORA-12952: The request exceeds the maximum allowed database size of 4 GB""

even when i delete some projects to find some space in my database, i still get the same message. i think the reason for this is that i have to purge the database because deletion of projects don't give any space. can any one help for this please??

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 2 days 21 hours ago. Offline

Some of the data is logically deleted from the database meaning that the data remains in your database. The background jobs should physically delete the data from your database. However the

CLEANUP_LOGICAL_DELETES procedure will delete from your database the data that has been deleted 5 days ago or more.So your data is not really deleted until after 5 days (unless you change this setting).

The problem is that it takes space to delete things and you have hit the 4 gig wall. So what you have to do is to treat this like you are eating an elephant. 

What I mean by this is that you have to open a project (one that you tried to delete previously) then delete one activity at a time do this for maybe 10 activities. NOW you can try to select 2 activities at a time and delete them. Keep doing this until you can eventually delete a lot of activities and delete them in bunches. 

Then at some point you can delete the project

Then you can delete other projects

You might want to create a second database and start working in that environment if want to have to leave your existing data intact. Another option is to export some of the project files to an xer. You can put more than one project into an xer export by opening multiple projects and exporting them. Then delete the projects.

Another option is to open the project and select send project and email the xer to yourself. Be careful her because sometimes companies only keep email for a certain time period then they are no longer accessible. You could always move the email to an archived email folder which should not get cleared out.

Another option is to export the xer files to a thumb drive, an external hard drive or a network drive.

Getting your free space back is a cumbersome process but it’s the only way to do it deleting activity by activity 

If you are using version 7.0 or earlier You can execute this is the sql database

DECLARE@RC int

-- TODO: Set parameter values here.

EXECUTE@RC = [pmdb$primavera].[dbo].[cleanup_old_data]

(rigth click) EXECUTE

And also this

USE[pmdb$primavera]

GO

DECLARE     @return_value int,

@pret_val int,

@pret_msg varchar(1000)

EXEC  @return_value = [dbo].[cleanup_logical_deletes]

@pret_val = @pret_val OUTPUT,

@pret_msg = @pret_msg OUTPUT

SELECT      @pret_val as N'@pret_val',

@pret_msg as N'@pret_msg'

SELECT      'Return Value' = @return_value

GO

(rigth click) EXECUTE

Michael Lepage
User offline. Last seen 36 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Hi All,

I would see Udo's comment and try step 2, which seems the safest in terms of securing your data.  

You are likely using the free OracleXE database client on a local machine.  OracleXE, since it's free and lite, has a max on the size of the database - 4GB user storage (or 5GB total physical storage).

If you've never logged into the OracleXE management software, then you might feel a bit squeemish at first.  There should be an icon on db or in your Start -> Programs area.  The Oracle XE admin app is web-based so it will bring up a web browser.  

Step 2 above says to login with the SYSTEM account.  So what's the password right?  Well, it was set when you installed the software on your pc.  Hopefully you remember or someone who did the install knows.

Hope that helps.

Michael

www.planacademy.com - Primavera P6 Tutorials from Beginner to Advanced.

Udo Walter
User offline. Last seen 11 years 47 weeks ago. Offline

Hello Planners,

attached some workarounds for that error. I hope it helps.

regards Udo

Applies to:

Primavera P6 Professional Project Management - Version: 7.0 and later   [Release: 7.0 and later ]
Information in this document applies to any platform.

Symptoms

The following error is encountered when attempting to launch P6 version 7.0 standalone:

Event Code: PRMDB-2193-7 Message:
PRM DBAccess Error: Database Server Error: ORA- 12952: The request exceeds the maximum allowed database size of 4 GB
ORA-06512: at "ADMPRM $PM.RT_USESSION", line 13
ORA-04088: error during execution of trigger 'ADMPRM$PM.RT_USESSION'
ORA- 06512: at line 4

Cause

Oracle Database Express Edition is designed to provide users with 4 GB of user data storage. Physical storage is limited to a database size of 5 GB of total overall size. This includes the system tablespace, but excludes temporary and rollback. The Oracle XE database had reached its 4GB limit of user data storage.

Solution

Workaround 1 (Recommended):

Step 1: Truncate the REFRDEL table:

Data in the REFRDEL table can be truncated, however this should only be done with ALL users logged OUT of the Project Management database. All retention of data in the REFRDEL table will be lost after this process has been completed.
  1. Launch the Oracle Database Homepage and log in as the ADMPRM$PM account.

Note: The Oracle Database Homepage can be launched by going to Start > All Programs > Oracle Database 10g Express Edition > Go To Database Home Page
  2. On the Database Home Page, click SQL and then SQL Commands
  3. In the top window, type:

Truncate table REFRDEL;
  4. Click Run

Note: If successful, a message will appear in the bottom window stating "Table truncated"
Step 2: Compact your database storage:
  1. Launch the Oracle Database Homepage and log in as the SYSTEM account.

Note: You can login with any account that has DBA privileges to compact storage
    Note: The Oracle Database Homepage can be launched by going to Start > All Programs > Oracle Database 10g Express Edition > Go To Database Home Page
  2. On the Database Home Page, click the Administration icon and then Storage.
  3. On the Tasks list, click Compact Storage.

The Compact Storage page appears and displays the following:
    • Space Allocated: Displays the amount of space in MB currently allocated to database user objects.
    • Available: Displays the amount of space in MB currently available.
    • Physical Limit: Displays the amount of space in MB available for database objects.
    • Percent Used: Displays a percentage that indicates the space used in comparison with the maximum database size permitted.
  4. Click Compact Storage.

Note: Compacting storage recovers unused free space in the database. Compacting storage is accomplished in the background using a database job and may take several minutes to complete.

Workaround 2 (Optional):

Note:  This method should only be used if the MMDB database (used in conjunction with Methodology Management) is NOT being used.  Otherwise, only Workaround 1 should be implemented.
  1. Launch the Oracle Database Homepage and log in as the SYSTEM account

2. On the Database Home Page, click SQL and then SQL Commands
  3. In the top window, type:

ALTER DATABASE DATAFILE 'C:\oraclexe\oradata\XE\MMDB_DAT1.DBF' RESIZE 50M;
    Note: The above statement reduce the size of the MMDB datafile from the default 250M to 50M, hence allowing for more disk space available for the Project Management database.  This process can be repeated for the MMDB_NDX1.DBF and MMDB_LOB1.DBF datafiles as well.
  4. Click Run

Workaround 3 (Optional): 

P6 R8.1 Professional does not required the methodology database.  If database was upgraded from P6 V7 and all methodology projects had moved to project database then the MMDB tablespaces can be deleted.  This will  reclaim 750 MB of space. 1. Start -> All Programs -> Oracle Database 10g Express Edition -> Go to Database Home Page.
2. Logon as admprm$pm , password is the password you provide during installation
3. Click SQL -> SQL Commands
4. Type te following SQL commands, highlighted the first row then click "Run" on the top right hand corner to drop the tablespace. DROP TABLESPACE MMDB_LOB1 INCLUDING CONTENTS;
DROP TABLESPACE MMDB_DAT1 INCLUDING CONTENTS;
DROP TABLESPACE MMDB_NDX1 INCLUDING CONTENTS;
5. Repeat the same steps for the other SQL statements.

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 13 hours 18 min ago. Offline

Call ORACLE, they are honest and serious professionals that will give you a solution on the spot as we all know P6 is easy to use software, solution got to be easy though not obvious. Just remember to share their response with us.

Christopher Amores
User offline. Last seen 11 years 22 weeks ago. Offline

Dear Hosam,

I just got this error today and I'm still looking for answers. I did delete some of the projects then suddenly deleting projects produced the same error. Hopefully someone out there can help.