Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Update Baseline Option

9 replies [Last post]
Kannan CP
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

While updating the schedule, I did some modifications in the activity relationships. In order to incorporate the same relationship changes in the Baseline Schedue (to do some analysis), I tried the Update Baseline option. I succeeded in getting the modified relationships of updated schedule to the baseline schedule. The issue is that the existing relationships of the baseline activities still remains there, and duplication of links happened.

Is there any option to replace the baseline existing activity relationships with the updated schedule relationship, while doing the exercise "Update Baseline"

Best Regards

Kannan

Replies

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 38 weeks ago. Offline

Kannan,

I agree, unfortunately Update Baseline has never worked perfectly  in P6.

Kannan CP

Thanks Kelly,

I am not updating the approved baseline, instead this is just for an exercise to understand the forecast completion based on the modified sequences.

Moreover, the option of "Update Baseline" in Primavera should work as we discussed, regardless of the which baseline is being updated.

Best Regards

Kannan

Kannan CP

Hi Zoltan,

I agree with you that the approved baseline should not be changed. Here the case is to carrying out some exercise, utilizing the technical capability of Primavera.

Best Regards

Kannan

David Kelly

Kannan,

I am ubable to confirm your results in your 8.x version of P6 other than to promise "Update Baseline" is greatly improved in version 16.

I am still interested in why you think it necessary that the Baseline reflects exattly the realtionships in the current plan, if the dates in the Baseline are correct?  Since we do not schedule the baseline this should not be necessary.

I work with many clients where the baseline is updated on a regular basis. Indeed I cannot think of a project I have worked on in the last 40 years where the baseline was not changed. Usually because extra work, "growth" had to be baselined. I now see many contracts issued by "Owners" to contrcators withot a scope of work, and each week's new work requires to be baselined without changing the existing dates of Baseline activities. 

The most serious issue with "Update baseline" is that when adding a new activity to the baseline, the Budget Quantity of resources are added as the default allocation from the resource dictionary, not the Budget quantity from the Resource Assignment record. There are work-arounds for this that do not require the Baseline to be restored and updated manually.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Techanically you should never ever ever change the baseline once it is approved it remains that way.

Kannan CP

Dear Kelly,

I am using the version 8.3

Being more specific, the baseline schedule relationship was (FS) between two activities. In the updated schedule, I modified the relationship to SS+6 (as per site condition).

After carrying out the update baseline exercise, the modified relationship (ss+6) is aded to the baseline schedule, but the original relationship (FS) still remains there which is driving the relationship, and therefore no effect.

Dear Zoltan,

there are several changes in the relationship which will take long time to do it manually.

Best Regards

Kannan

Zoltan Palffy

release the baseline from the current project and make the changes manually 

Zoltan Palffy

release the baseline from the current project and make the changes manually 

David Kelly

Kannen,

Update Baseline has improved with every update of P6. This is because there was so much to fix.  

I have been a keen student of how it deals with updating resources, which is almost fixed at version 16.2.  I have not paid any attention to relationships when updating baselines, now that I think about it, this will be because it is the dates of the baseline activities that I require frozen as we do not require the baseline re-shceduled, and the dates update has always worked.

Having said that I cannot replicate your error in version 16.  

Which version are you using, and can you be more specific about the nature of the analysis you are doing as there may be an alternative strategy.