Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Integrate the Master Schedule with 3 different areas

No replies
Farisha Shah
User offline. Last seen 7 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi P6 Experts,

I need your help. We have a Master Schedule that consist of the 3 Construction Areas. I have 3 different P6 schedulers responsible to update each areas and send me the update. They are allowed to change the activity relationships, add new activities, delete task those are not required anymore, change the activity ID and construction sequenceing as per construction strategy in their respective areas. Some of their tasks are  linked with the Design, Procurment and fabrication activities those are updated by me in the Master Schedule.

If everyone is working on the same file in P6 in a sharing enviorment it wont be probelm, however  the previous scheudling manager had setup a system that he sent each scheduler a copy of the previous month update that include all activities ( Design , Procurment Fabrication etc. ) and wanted everyone to change his/her area seperatly and send him the update xer files then he intergrated it into the Master schedule. 

Since he is no more on the Job and I am taking over, I am having the below challenges.

If I copy the Updated WBS (Including Activities with Relationship) from Area 1 and paste it into the Master Schedule. It create the External link with the Design and Procument activities in Area 1 schedule.  I wanted to keep those the previous  link with the Master schedule. If I delete all the activities for design procurment etc in Area 1 and then Paste only Area 1 activities only in to the Master Schedule than I lose all link from the Area 1 to the Master Schedule. 

I donot like this way but for few months I am stick to follow the procdeure.

Please advise, what would be the fastest way to handle it. One way I only thing to copy an paste all areas and create the links again. Do I need to do it every month?  There must be some faster/smart way to do it until I convince the managment to do it in a different way.

Please feel free to ask any question, I might not be clear in my query.

Thanks