Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How do you get resource assignments to spread dollars evenly across duration

6 replies [Last post]
Ryan Rowland
User offline. Last seen 7 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Cannot figure out how to make resources spread for resource assignements. The primary example is, I have a Level of Effort activity spanning 12+ months, and have a material resource called "Revenue". I want to spread the revenue dollars uniformly across the activity, but the resource assignement spreadsheet is front loading the budgeted costs for the activities into the first month that the activity starts in. How do I recalculate the spreadsheet, or spread the "revenue" budgeted costs for these activities. All of my activity types are "Fixed Durations & Units" or "Fixed Durations & Units / Time", and I have assigned a resource curve of "linear". Also, another strange thing, on one activity, I assigned a "Linear" resource curve to it, and the cost of the activity jumped forward two months in the spreadsheet, to May, even though the activity started in July and finished in August. Please help. 

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 3 hours 40 min ago. Offline

I do not use P6 but hope the following reference might provide some help.

http://www.ronwinterconsulting.com/The_Inner_Workings_Of_P6.pdf

I find P6 not only as having too many bugs but also as too cumbersome and unorthodox.

Good Luck,

Rafael

Ryan Rowland

This appears to be to be rooted in the "Planned Start/Planned Finish" on the Resource Assignments. Why do these dates not match the scheduled dates? I've searched the internet, and it appears that these date fields are the most useless, yet most destructive field Oracle/Primavera has created. Does anyone have experience on how to set these dates to match the scheduled start/finish dates? Otherwise, I don't see how the Resource Assignment spread will ever be accurate. Another part of the issue, after speaking to an oracle rep, is the fact that I do not have a default units per time assigned to my resource. I don't know how to set a default units per time for earthwork, as the production rates change per activity due to haul length, equipment used, many other factors. Therefore, how can I ever accurately forecast my costs/revenues, if the resource assignement "Planned Start/Planned Finish" do not calculate to match my schedule. I have 2,000+ resource assignments, so going in and manually changing the planned dates to match the scheduled start/finish dates is not an option. HELP?!?!?!

Ryan Rowland

Ok. I realized now that the resource cost for the LOE activities were being spread evenly across the first 5 days (the original duration) of the LOE. I thought LOE's weren't supposed to have a fixed Original Duration though. Shouldn't the cost be spread across the whole activities duration, not just those 5 days? When I manually entered an OD to match the At Complete Duration, it spread the costs, but then that won't update if the LOE shortens or lengthens. Is there a setting to have the OD of an LOE automatically match the At Complete Duration, or have the resource spread across the At-Complete Duration or Remaining Duration, rather than the Original Duration? Also, why are the costs getting frontloaded in the Task Dependant activities, and why does the cost jump forward, out of the activities timeframe, when any curve is applied to the Task Dependant activity? Is there a set of settings somewhere for how the resource assignments are spread, that I don't know about?

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

the default in linear but you cnag choose any curve that you wish. If it is a LOE you must use a curve or all of your resource wil be spiked on the start date of the LOE

Ryan Rowland
That's how I viewed the resource costs initially, but some non LOE activities that were splitting two months were front loaded into the first month. Also, when would the curves be applicable. I thought they were meant to spread cost on LOE or other activities that it was hard to predict the usage of the resource, such as administrative costs, or maintenance of erosion control items?
David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 38 weeks ago. Offline

Great question

You should not apply any curve to the resource assignment, the field should be blank.