Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 SQL Database - Get WBS Start and Finish Dates

3 replies [Last post]
C Molland
User offline. Last seen 8 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello

I am developing an application which pulls data from our P6 SQL database. In my application I want to display WBS and Task items hierarchically and beside each item display the start/finish dates.

In SQL I can write a Common Table Expression which will recursively loops through the WBS/Task data and calculates the start and finish dates for all of the WBS items but it is slow and I suspect unneccesary.

Assuming that the start and finish dates for each WBS item may be pre-calculated within the depths of the SQL data somewhere, how can I write a SELECT satatement to get WBS items included their related start/finish dates please?

Thank you.

Chris

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 days 20 hours ago. Offline

all dates are calculated 

all you have to do is to goto group and sort

then group by wbs

make sure that show group totals and show grand totals is checked in the group and sort

then select view collapse to then in the drop down select wbs

thats it of course make sure that you have a column for the start date and a column for the finish date

C Molland
User offline. Last seen 8 years 45 weeks ago. Offline

Thanks for your thoughts, but not being a Primavera user I don't understand the comment.

What I wanted to establish is - are the start/finish dates for all wbs items stored within the SQL database or are they calculated 'on the fly' by the Primavera application? The same goes for finding out if a Task/WBS is on the Critical Path.

I can calculate a WBS item's start/finish dates but if it is already calculated and stored in the SQL databse I can just write a SQL SELECT statement and get it.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 days 20 hours ago. Offline

easier to just summarize the WBS and roll it up