Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

PRX File Format

7 replies [Last post]
Tanveer Ahmad Niazi
User offline. Last seen 6 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar

Hi,

We submitted our programme to the consultant for approval. Now our Employer's Sr. Planning Engineer needs the PRX file of the programme. The Planning & Cost Control Sr. Manager verified the letter while Planning & Const Control (acting) Director approved that.

Now my PM is very upstet on me when I told him that this is not a P6 file format. He said when the Employer's senior authorities asking for something then it must exist and he needs that anyway.

I know that FoxPro Database also use this file extension (PRX), but I don't know how can I convert XER file into PRX file OR get PRX file from P6.

Cheers

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

there is a p3 to p6 converter that you can use to convert to and from p6.

here is the lnk

pmsite.com/forums/viewthread/3146/

http://pmsite.com/forums/viewthread/3146/

another trick is to change the file extension from prx to exe and then click on it if you have p3 it will open the extraxtor program

he can also import a p3 file into p6 as long as it is not in compressed fomay so go inot p3 and when you select backup uncheck the compress files and there will be about 25 induvudual files sned these to him and he can import them or use the converter and make an xer for him. 

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hi Tanveer

Typos can be quite fundamental - I recall when I was a junior estimator back in 1967 sending out a tender which said "we have now included for any decorating" when it should have said "we have not included for any decorating"

Whoops.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 5 days ago. Offline

That's life! It's always better to communicate.

Thank you for this update.

Dieter

Tanveer Ahmad Niazi

Hi,

The latest update is that the RE spoke with the Employer's PM, and after contacting the concerned director, the PM told the RE that it was just a typoghrafic error and my be ignored. Isn't that a joke.....

Tanveer Ahmad Niazi

Thank you very much Mr. Testro and Mr. Wambach. The matter here is bit seriouos but Al hamdu Lillah I have almost conviced my PM and he has already left to talk to the RE

Cheers

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hi Tanveer

Be careful that the Engineer approves the P6 version not the P3.

P3 software is now obsolete.

Check if there is any stipulation in the contract as to the type of planning software to be used.

I would be very surprised if it stated P3 and if nothing is stated then you are entitled to use the best product available.

So if you can create and submit the P3 file make sure that the covering letter states "For Information Purposes Only" and also submit your P6 file "For Approval".

Best regards

Mike Testro

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Tanveer

prx is a compressed format of P3. Convert your project  or programme into P3. Then create a prx-backup with P3. Try to do it with a normal P3 export. Be aware that some information will be lost: e.g. codes only one-dimensional, resource curves not really compatible. no expenses, ... 

If Employer's senior authorities ask the earth to be a disk, then the earth is a disk? 

Good luck!

Dieter