Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Resource Assignment Dates not equal to Activity Dates

10 replies [Last post]
Peter Bennetts
User offline. Last seen 8 years 15 weeks ago. Offline

I am experiencing consistent problems with the dates on the Resources assigned to an Activity being at variance to the dates of that activity despite them being originally aligned.

Does anyone know the mechanism, settings or steps that may been taken that will cause these dates to become misligned, the images below from the Assigments View illustrates the problem.

untitled.jpg

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

EMMA my answer does that 

Emma Lang
User offline. Last seen 1 year 41 weeks ago. Offline

Is it possible to have the activity dates drive the resource assigment dates instead? Or a quick way to change the resource assignment dates to match the activity dates?

Zoltan Palffy

yes just like almost everything in p6 the setting that were in effect at the time the activities were created remain howver any NEW activities will have this attribiiute you can also add a column or run a global change.

global change

uptop make sure that the says resource assignment NOT Activity

where drive activity date by default equals no

then drive activity date by default = yes

Wasi Raza
User offline. Last seen 6 years 19 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Zoltan, Yes I just selected that option and did F9 again. It did not make any impact on the current activities where the assignments are out of sync, however, after reading about the option it seem that it will apply to any new activities added further on. So this should be done at the start of a project. Lesson learned.

I am curious about the option, as it seems to be for Resource Driven Schedules. Where by Resource availability changes dates and durations for activities. Currently, I would not want my schedule to be resource driven, however it is certainly an added feature.

Zoltan Palffy

did you select drive activity dates by default ?

Zoltan Palffy

did you select drive activity dates by default ?

Wasi Raza

Zoltan, All reources and activities are using the same calendars. I do not believe this has anything to do with calendars, because if it was so, the assignment dates will mismatch from the acitivty early dates to begin with, and not just after changing activity dates and re-scheduling.

In this case, the assignment dates match the Start and Finish dates of activities, but after making changes to activity dates and Re-scheduling, the assignment dates loose the link with the activity finish dates. This only seems to happen with certain activities, even though they have the same properties as the other activities.

Perhaps, the assignment dates seem to latch onto the planned dates for some reason, and not the Early dates? I wonder if there is a setting somewhere in Primavera, which ensures the assignment dates move along with the activity early dates.

I have seen this issue being raised by quite a few patrons here with no solution yet.

I do not believe it has anything to do with Calendars, because if it did, the assignment dates will be different from activity dates to begin with, and not just after re-scheduling.
Zoltan Palffy

make sure that the resource calendar matches the activity calendar 

Wasi Raza

Does anyone know why the link between Activity Finish dates and Assignment finish dates breaks at some point?

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 6 days ago. Offline

View Projects --> Tab "Resources" --> Mark "Drive activity dates by default". This will work for new activities.

To correct existing activities: View Resource Assignments --> add the column "Drive Activity Dates" --> mark the upmost then fill down.

Hope this helps

Dieter