Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Help - Early start / Finish dates dont equal the Assign Baseline (Current project) ????

15 replies [Last post]
Joel Gilbert
User offline. Last seen 4 years 21 weeks ago. Offline

Has anyone ever come accross this problem yet???

My early start and finish dates dont match my Assign baseline ( current Project) dates ? they should match - and no I have not re-scheduled, and it is on a stand alone version so it is not someone that updated the project while carrying on with the exercise.

When you put the titles baseline project start and baseline project finish the dates should match early start and finish dates - on this project they dont - is there any settings to correct this?

Replies

Joel Gilbert

Yes, Thanks for replying..........unfortunately PP has become as such.........very sad, hardly any jobs advertised anymore???

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 19 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

@ David Ishmael

This is not the proper way to post a question by hi-jacking someone subject or thread. If you have a specific question 1st search to see if that same questions has been asked and or answered by someone else. If it is the same question you can add to the thread if not then you should submit a separate stand alone question.

By glomming onto someone else question the original question gets distorted and convoluted and only lead to confusion. In this instance your glomming on to this thread opened a question that was asked and answered in 2011.

Zoltan Palffy

well it appears that on Friday Davis Ishmael hijacked your thread which in turn re-activiated it and made it current which I responsed to sorry about that. 

I will tell him not to hijack a subject 

Fri, 2015-08-21 04:45

#3Ishmael David Send message to Ishmael  David User is online
Joel Gilbert

Wow thanks for the answer, I posted that question in 2011.....I guess better late than never

Zoltan Palffy

Joel

When you selected maintain baseline did you choose select convert another project as the baseline ?

If you did not then how could it possibly be different if it is the current schedule this means that it is just a copy of itself. This is like copying a spreadsheet then asking to show what the differences are between the 2 spreadsheets. There are none the are the same thing.

I do not understand why you did not select convert another project as the baseline and then choose your original baseline schedule. 

As as Gary mentioned when a Project or Primary Baseline is set to <Current Project> in the Project, Assign Baseline from, then the Planned Dates of the current schedule are displayed as the Baseline Bar. To change this select look under Assign Baseline and where it says Project Baseline select the other schedule NOT the current schedule. You can also select this under User Baselines select the other schedule NOT the current schedule.

When assigning a baseline it is a 2 step process 1st it is Project Maintain Baseline then it is Project Assign Baseline.  

Ishmael David
User offline. Last seen 7 years 43 weeks ago. Offline

Hello everyone, please am new here and am facing a problem in my programme baseline, after linking and planning my project, my late start date came before the project main start date, eg. my project start date is the 2nd of may and my late start date appears to be 1st may, please anyone who has a solution for this?

K L KAMESWARI AK...
User offline. Last seen 10 years 24 weeks ago. Offline

Dear Sir,

I am Kavya.Working as Planning Engineer and i am using Primavera P6 R8.2.Now i am facing a Small Problem

How to do Resource forecasting and also Man hours forecasting in Primavera? Please Kindly help me .

My Mail address

kavyaakila24@gmail.com

Martin Dawson
User offline. Last seen 8 years 10 weeks ago. Offline

Please note that in my original post I referred to "RE-baseline the schedule"  and not "baseline the schedule".  Prior to re-baselining a schedule, the revised schedule (in its new planned date position) would have gone through an appropriate change process, buy-off by the customer and signed off by the Project Manager as suitable for use as a baseline. 

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 41 weeks ago. Offline

"This can be useful because if you want to re-baseline the schedule, those activities that are in progress (or have been completed) will be baselined against their original "planned dates" not their new "start" and "finish" dates.  This prevents hiding poor performance on those activities that are behind schedule."

I disagree. The planned dates for an in progress or complete activity are the early dates of that activity, frozen in time from the last update before it had actual progress applied. That's about as meaningless and arbitrary a set of dates to use as the default setting for baselines as I can think of.

It causes an awful lot more problems than it solves.

Martin Dawson
User offline. Last seen 8 years 10 weeks ago. Offline

In our current set-up, Primavera P6 uses the "Planned Start" and " Planned Finish" fields when you create or update a baseline.  These dates normally are the same as the "start" and "Finish" dates, so there is not normally an issue.  However when an activity is progressed the "Planned Start" and "Planned Finish" remain as is, whereas the "start" and "finish" will change according to progress. This can be changed under Admin Preferences to use the start and finish dates for the baseline

Ferdinand U.
User offline. Last seen 6 years 28 weeks ago. Offline

hi gilbert

before doing maintain baseline, try to adjust the settings in Admin menu, (Admin preference - earned value tab, at the bottom select the option "At completion with current dates")

after doing that you can maintain and assign baseline then show baseline dates and you can see the correct dates

Joel Gilbert

Help again

New problems with this P6 v7 - If I save the project as a base line on a weekly basis to show weekly slipages when I save it for the week the base and schedule dates dont match - Why ? I go to assign base and call up the saved project, I checked if t is the correct column shown and still the dates wont match Why? They should be identical before I do any updating or re-scheduling - What is going on does anyone have a cure I remember in p3 there was a global formula to fix this is there anything now?

Joel Gilbert

Thanks Garry and Andy,

So to recap - If I display from the column the baseline date that I gat from assigning the Current project baseline when I assign baseline (current project) is actually the current project date and not the Planned dates. Hence when there is a actual start the date dont match because of it showing the current project date. No wonder the flippen book does not balance

Thanks, that make perfect sence. I obviously need to brush up, well first time I use PP in a long time and it paid off.

Also I inherited this 8500 activity schedule, and my predecessor allocated milestones Start and finish for every time the discipline changes and I find this totaly unacceptable and will give a false critical path, What are yor thoughts on this subject?

I have to go to the Construction Manager and convince him that the schedule needs to be changed. Not a easy task as I am the new kid on the block

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 41 weeks ago. Offline

When a Project or Primary Baseline is set to <Current Project>in the Project, Assign Baseline form, then the Planned Dates of the current schedule are displayed as the Baseline Bars, NOTE: <Current Project>here means Planned Dates not the Start and Finish as one would expect!

Above is an extract from Paul Harris' excellent presentation on this. Original can befound here:

http://www.eh.com.au/Technical%20Papers/110616_P6_V7_What_Baseline_Bars_am_I_Displaying.pdfeline

Paul is talking about the bars displayed in the gantt chart, but it may well be the same issue for Basline Start & Finish columns.

-Try making a copy of your project and then converting that copy into the baseline, rather than using the "current Project" option

Andy Power
User offline. Last seen 3 years 26 weeks ago. Offline

Early dates and baseline dates won't necessarily match.  If you want to make them match I think you will probably need to perform a global change so that the planned start/finish dates meet the start/finish or BL start/finish dates .... that usually brings mine back in to line.