Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Using two different resource rates in MS Project

2 replies [Last post]
Nick Simpson
User offline. Last seen 6 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi there, I have a project where I want to track both cost and price within the task view Gantt chart. To explain a little more, each of my resources in the resource sheet has two rates, a standard rate, and then a sell rate which I have put into the custom field "Cost1".

On my Gantt chart view, I then assign resources and can see the cost of the task in the actual cost field. I would also like to be able to see the "actual price" field which is calculated using the same hours and utilisation but multiplied by the sell rate in the resource "Cost1" field. Does anyone know how I might be able to do this?

Thanks,

Nick

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 21 hours 13 min ago. Offline

Try(click) the following link to see if it helps.

Enter costs for MSP resources

Tom Boyle
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Nick,

Welcome to PP.  I don't know of a good way to do this using formulas only (i.e. without vba).  The problem is that work, rates, and costs are fully integrated between tasks and resources through their assignments, but custom fields (e.g. your resource Cost1) cannot carry formulas through the assignments.

A vba routine would be pretty straightforward, though not trivial.  (You'd essentially loop through the assignments for each task, do the math on the resource side, and aggregate the results to the custom task field.) 

You might want to post on answers.microsoft.com or technet.microsoft.com, where there's more experience tailored to this kind of question.

Good luck, tom

[Belay that - just saw that John gave some good advice to you over on Technet - i.e. using the cost rate table.  I imagine that's probably the way to  go.]