Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Different Working Hours

5 replies [Last post]
Vignesh S
User offline. Last seen 7 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I have a schedule in which I am using 2 different calendars. One for Design activity which is 6DX8hrs working and the other is construction whihc is 7X22hrs working. Since, construction activities domiated design, I have considered default working hrs as 22hrs & 7 days in a week as working. I have assigned the task calendar according to the nature of activity viz-a-viz design or construction.

Now, the issue I am facing is if I make the duration of design (with 6DX8hrs design calndar assigned to it) activity say for example as 1 day, MSP considers as 3 days i.e., equivalent of 22 hrs per day by default. If my start date is 01st October, my finish date should be 01st October  as duration is 1 day, but I am getting the finish date as 3rd October.

Kindly anybody explain how to resolve this.

Replies

Jerome Odeh
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline

Vignesh,

Review this blog post to see if it works for you.

http://plannerstips.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/working-with-multiple-task-calendars-in.html

Jerome

Vignesh S

Jerome,

I understand that your suggestion works good with multiple working periods. But, I am interested to know is there any method to assign 2 different working hours like we assign multiple calendars?

Vignesh

Jerome Odeh

Vignesh,

My suggestion works with multiple working periods.

Enter your durations in hours and use a Custom Field to display durations in days. Hide the "duration in hours" column before issuing your schedule.

Jerome

Vignesh S

Jerome,

Thanks for the suggestion. Your suggestion sounds good and it can be implemented as a temporary solution. But, I am interested to know whether is there any option available in reality to have multiple working periods in a project like multiple calendars?

Jerome Odeh

Vignesh,

Go to File > Options > Schedule and review your default calendar options for the project.

Most likely you will find that Hours per day is 24 hrs, therefore when you enter duration of 1 day, MSP translates it to 24 hrs and based on the activity calendar of 8 working hrs, this 24 hrs is spread over 3 days hence 3rd October finish.

Instead of entering 1 day as activity duration, try 8 hrs and your activity should finish on 1st October. When using multiple calendars for activities you might want to consider keeping your durations in hours and use a custom field to display duration in days based on the activity calendar.

=jerome
https://plannerstips.blogspot.co.uk/