Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Multiple Calendars

3 replies [Last post]
Lo Gary
User offline. Last seen 1 year 31 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

What should I do if I want to set many calendars with different start time and finish time for each day and also different working days e.g.  Calendar A start from Monday to Saturday from 8:00a.m. to 18:00 , Calendar B start from Monday to Friday from 9:00 to 17:00, Calendar C is a 24 hours calendar working from Monday to Sunday. 

What should I set to the working hours per day , working hours per week and working days per month for each calendar A, B, C in the options .

I found the duration will come out with decimal places.Am I wrong?

Thank!

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Lo

As I said.

"Or set in more than one calendar to attach to different tasks such as those affected by wet weather and those under cover."

You have your 3 calendars - just apply them to the relevant tasks.

Be aware that your calendar B - 24 hr non stop causes problems if it ends in the middle of a holiday period as it breaks the critical path.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Lo Gary
User offline. Last seen 1 year 31 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Sorry, Mike

I still don't quite understand.

I foresee I would have many tasks that work unnder different calendars. Therefore, I set up the different calendars at the very begining. However, most of the tasks ( the actual working manpower work at a Six Day calendar Monday to Saturday 8:00a.m. to 6:00p.m. ). Therefore, I set this as the Default Project Calendar.

The next calendar I set up would be a Calendar B, 24 hours calendar of 3 shifts e.g. bored pile concreting which is non stop until completion. 

The Calendar C, a Five Day calendar , for statutory submission , from Monday to Friday , 9:00a.m. to 5:00p.m. 

In this case, how should I set this 3 calendars with different working day per week and working hour per day. How could Microsoft Project count the day (default project calendar ?) in the duration column of the Gannt Chart as the definition of day are different in this three different calendars.

Thank a lot!

Gary Lo

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Lo

Working time is set up in the work pattern section which is then applied to the calendar.

You can have any number of work patterns in a single calendar to represent matters such as Ramadan or Reducing Daylight in the Arctic Circle.

Or set in more than one calendar to attach to different tasks such as those affected by wet weather and those under cover.

Some software is more flexible than others when facilitating this requirement.

P6 is hopeles and Asta PowerProject can be set in secondsif need be. MSP is probaly somewhere in between.

Best regards

Mike Testro