Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Summary Tasks Resource Calendars & Tools/Options/Calendar HELP

3 replies [Last post]
Eric Redding
User offline. Last seen 12 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello all,

I want the summary tasks to reflect the amount of time it will take to perform the work under them.  If I have a couple of 24 hr tasks (determined by the task calendar) and some "standard" tasks under the same summary task, I cannot obtain a summary task duration that makes sense.

If I change the calendar in Tools/Options to 24 hours it affects the entire schedule.  Not what I want.

If I apply resources to tasks that are 24 hour resources or standard calendar resources or 10 hour resources, the "calculation" of the summary task duration doesn't make sense.

In setting up a project with many task calendars and unique resource calendars, what will the summary task's duration reflect?  I thought it would describe the amount of time it will take to perform all of the tasks.  But if I look at the start and finish dates and compare those to the summary task's duration it doesn't add up.

Your help is appreciated.

Eric

Replies

Eric Redding

Hello,

What I have learned in the past hour.  If I have a group of tasks that have different task calendars applied to them, I have to enter the task durations appropriately.  See the first group of tasks below.  This string of tasks should take 7 days.  The next group of tasks has 1 change.  I changed the 24h/day task from 72 hours to 3 days.  MS Project is "thinking" that due to Tools/Options/Calendar that a day equals 8 hours then if the 3 day task is 3x8 and the task calendar says "let's work this task 24 hours straight" then it will take only 1 day to complete.  Left at 72 hours it took, correctly, 3 calendar days. (keep in mind if you are performing 'what-if' challenges to the schedule.  you might want to see the effect of a previously worked 3 day task is you were to apply resources to it working 24 hrs/day remembering that a "day" is defined in Tools/Options/Calendar)

Other groups of tasks below also had one duration change with similar effect.

task_calendars.jpg

Eric Redding

thank you for your response.  The video did not answer my question of having several calendars applied to tasks beneath a summary task and having the summary task correctly display the duration and time interval of the child tasks.

Kumar Baiju
User offline. Last seen 10 years 12 weeks ago. Offline

Hello Eric

I have also same problem, you can also see the post in this forum " activity shows only one fourth duration" , you also find the solution.

Regards\\