Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Baseline Updation

23 replies [Last post]
Rohit K
User offline. Last seen 3 years 42 weeks ago. Offline

Dear All,

The project baseline schedule has been finalized for a project with the start date as 15.02.11 on 07.05.11. The clients want to update / track this schedule as baseline from 18.05.11. Is it possible to track the schedule logically so late. The clients are aware theres a delay which cannot be recovered and then too are reluctant to modify the schedule.

Rohit

Replies

Rohit K

Ashik,

Yes we can have a resource and cost loaded schedule as a Baseline.

To track this type of Baseline, for Resources the actual time spent by the resource on a particular activity is to be maintained along with the activity actual start, finish,remaining duration and the cost also to be entered as and when incurred.

Rohit

Ashik GB
User offline. Last seen 6 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello Mr.Rohit,

Can we make the schedule as the baseline schedule by keeping the resources & Cost?

If yes, how can we track the resources & cost, i know the activity tracking but i dont know the resource & cost tracking.. Can you help me out from this? 

Mark Greenhalgh
User offline. Last seen 12 years 25 weeks ago. Offline

Anyone creating a baseline schedule had better know all the claims happening at the beginning so they can get their delay claims built into the longest path of the baseline schedule.  The first schedule update from the baseline can have new logic and added delay claim activities thrown into the critical path.   If you have a delay claim that is not on the critical path, and if you have advanced the data date before correcting logic, dates, durations and lags, you probably will not get your claim approved.  You can always go back in time to find out where the critical path was, but you will need to use the Longest Path Approximator to do that.  http://scheduling.spacetechnology.net  It is capable of moving the data date back to the beginning of the month, and then you can see the critical path.  Hint:  Ask for  a free sample! 
Ashik GB

Hello Everybody,

There is a similar query in my project, please help me the same.

Actually our project start date is from 27/01/2011 with 18 months completion but due to unsafe conditions, the project has been revised & a new schedule to be prepared from 15th sep'11.

The thing is i have to ignore the 100% completion activities till date and i have to plan ongoing activities with start date as 15th sep'11.

So, how can i plan & how can i show the 100% completed activities in the new schedule.

Ashik GB

Hi Friends,

Can any body please help me what is the difference between Update as scheduled & Rescheduled work in Tracking Wizard and where should i apply this ogic while tracking? 

Rohit K

Hi,

Thanks, after a long batle were able to convince the clients to have a fresh set of start dates for the project amicably between all the parties involved. Now we have a new start date on which we are to track the schedule.The procedure I mentioned earlier along with new doubts is as mentioned below: 

A )
Have saved my non resource non cost loaded schedule as Baseline and started updating the schedule from 01.06.11 as follows (it is only a task activity schedule):

1.Project - Project Information-Update the status date
2.Tools -Tracking-Save Baseline-Entire Project = Saved the schedule as Baseline
3.View - Table - Tracking & again View - Tracking Gnatt
4.Adjust the columns that we want to view in the Tracking Gnatt
5.Then I have entered the Acual Start date & Actual Finish date of an Activity along with the Physical % Complete. This % I am calculating from the quntum of work.(Say from 100 sqm of levelling 40 sqm is completed then Physical % complete = 40%.)
6.Tools - Tracking-Update Project- Reschedule uncompleted work to start after: I entered the Status Date of the project and For Entire Project was selected.

Is this the procedure correct to track a baseline schedule or there is any other way ?

B)
If I have to allocate resources to the activities,
Act a : Shuttering 15.07.11 to 15.09.11 (BQ=5000 sqm) , output of 1 carp=5sqm / day, so required for this particular activity say =5000 /(60*5)= 17 nos. Now this is for a particular activity a. Similarly if there are n activities involving the carpenters I will allocate the resources. But where shall I be entering the Max Carpenters in numbers?

C)
If I require to show the % planned for an activity, the formula I got from searching the numerous threads here is as follows

IIf([Baseline Start]>[Status Date],0,IIf([Baseline Finish]<=[Status Date],100,ProjDateDiff([Status Date],[Baseline Start],"Standard")/ProjDateDiff([Baseline Finish],[Baseline Start],"Standard")*100))

but it is showing for some activities as 200%.

I have entered this formula in the following way:
Tools-Customize- Fields- Type-Number 1 (renamed it as % planned)
Custom attributes - Formula (the above formula)
Then inserted a Date 1(renamed as Status date) column and said 15.07.11.

Request the experienced persons to guide me in my queery.

Thanks in advance.

Rohit

Kavita Jha
User offline. Last seen 12 years 39 weeks ago. Offline

hey if the project is delayed by almost a year and work is only completed around 50% what should be done? rescheduling of remaining work ?

mukunda y
User offline. Last seen 10 years 33 weeks ago. Offline

Rohit, 

As u say project is already delayed, this delay cannot be recoverable as per ur statement. 

If the client are reluctant to change the schedule then u have to updated to the same schedule, There are many ways to update the schedule.... First u have to decide the ways of updating. to show the planned % u have to put formula... (search here u will get formula) after this show the planned % & updated the schedule with actual dates thats all. after updating the schedule if u want to show the expected dates for that one use progress override or manualy change the relationships according to the requirement, 

Still if u r facing problem revert please

Regards

Mukunda

Rohit K

Dear

Request to revert on my querry please.

Rohit

Rohit K

Dear All,

Have saved my schedule as Baseline and started updating the schedule from 01.06.11 as follows:

1.Project - Project Information-Update the status date
2.Tools -Tracking-Save Baseline-Entire Project = Saved the schedule as Baseline
3.View - Table - Tracking & again View - Tracking Gnatt
4.Adjust the columns that we want to view in the Tracking Gnatt
5.Then I have entered the Acual Start date of an Activity along with the Physical % Complete.
6.Tools - Tracking-Update Project- Reschedule uncompleted work to start after: I entered the Status Date of the project and For Entire Project was selected.

Is this the procedure correct to track a baseline schedule or there is any other way ?

Rohit

Rohit K

No have posted my problem just today. request to revert back on it.

Muthukumaru Senth...
User offline. Last seen 11 years 35 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Rohit;

Sorry I could not access this forum last few days, have you solved your problem?

Senthuran

Rohit K

Senthuran

After following your steps as replied in post, I have updated only the start and end dates and the % completed columns for some of the activities in the baseline schedule saved. Is it required again to go to Tools - Tracking - Update Project dialogue box and schedule it? OR only save the baseline after updation?.

Rohit

Rohit K

Senthuran

After I change the start date to the current date my end date also will move ahead, and hence the project will not be completed on the contractual end date. That means the revised baseline programme will surpass my contractual end date.

Rohit

Rohit K

Carlos,

What is the difference between % compl & physical % compl columns in the tracking gnatt table? I have entered only the actual start & completion dates for some of the activities & the software automatically calculated the % compl column to 100%.

Rohit

Carlos Arana
User offline. Last seen 5 years 34 weeks ago. Offline

Rohit,

you should pay special attention to what Senthuran is saying. Your team must also document and agree with the client what is the cause for the delays because there will be claims in the future and the contractor needs to have the cause of the delays documented.

Best regards,

Carlos.

Muthukumaru Senth...
User offline. Last seen 11 years 35 weeks ago. Offline

Regardless of the actual start of the activity, what ever programme prepared originally and agreed by every body that is the baseline programme.

Currently due to various reasons, this programme has been delayed.

1) Save/assign  the original programme as a baseline programme

2) Change the start date as the current data date and schedule the programme, now this is the programme revised baseline programme.

3) Save /assign this revised baseline programme and update the progress as on the current status for your data date.

Senthuran

Rohit K

Carlos,

Thanks. Will do it as you suggest. Will get back to you if any problems.

Rohit

Rohit K

Mike

There is no problem, but wouldnt it be more precise if a catchup / recovery schedule is prepared and then tracked than to track a lost schedule wherein there is a delay of 70 days.

Rohit

Carlos Arana
User offline. Last seen 5 years 34 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Rohit,

Capture actual start dates for the activities started, capture the performance on these activities, capture the finish date for finished activities and milestones, change the data date to the current date, reschedule, if your program is a CPM schedule prepare because the client will not believe the results and will try to disqualify them. If your program is not a CPM schedule then make it CPM before updating.

Best regards,

Carlos

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 2 hours ago. Offline

Hi Rohit

That would be quite normal practice - what precisely is your problem?

Best regards

Mike Testro

Rohit K

Hi Mike

Mike the baseline got finalized on 17 May 11 keeping the start date as 15 Feb 11, approximately 90 days after the project got started at site.

Regards,

Rohit K

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 2 hours ago. Offline

Hi Rohit

I am assuming that on 7th May 2011 you agreed a baseline programme that started on 15th February 2001.

The client now wants you to change the start date to 18th February 2011.

Let me know if this is correct and we can take it further.

Best regards

Mike Testro