Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

A quick question re updating baseline

1 reply [Last post]
Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
I have a client who is looking at software tools. I am NOT by any means a software expert, so please be gentle. http://www.planningplanet.com/images/icon_frown.gif

I’m curious as to how easy the following is to do in MS Project:

(a) I have a baseline plan of 5 five-day activities as follows:

A5 -> B5 -> C5 -> D5 -> E5

(b) I then create for my team a working plan with 5 four-day activities plus a schedule reserve of 5 days, as follows:

A4 -> B4 -> C4 -> D4 -> E4 -> SR5

My question: as I work to (b) and report progress against it, how easy is it to simultaneously update my baseline plan? Do I have to do double-entry and re-type the updates, or is there some way to pass on the updates automatically?

Fraternally in project management,

Steve the Bajan

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 20 hours 16 min ago. Offline
Under MS Project if you want to make your updated plan as a new baseline, just save a new baseline using the menu command for this purpose depending on MS Project version and the data will be frozen on baseline fields. These fields will be kept across your updates and will only be changed until you re-baseline the set. MS project has a limit on how many baseline data sets can save, take note that it saves only a few selected fields.

I would recommend for every update/new baseline to keep a separate file, then from any prior update you can work new baselines as best fit, if need be. Then using export/import functionality within MS Project transfer baseline data only. In this way you can overcome the limitation when your software only allows for baseline data to be saved within the current project files without direct access to other project files. Because MS Project Baseline fields are limited, unless you keep separate files of the updates you might lose track of other relevant data, always keep a separate file for every update. Prior to any update save latest version to a new version file and then do your update on this new file.

Other software allows you to save and access your baseline data to a differently named file. This is easier and gives you more flexibility, you will have no need to do cumbersome data import/export.

In any case there is no need to double entry.