Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Progressed bar does not give the correct result

4 replies [Last post]
Andrew Owenson
User offline. Last seen 16 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
This has probably been asked before, but I will ask again. I have a chart in which I am comparing planned against actual. the planned start is 05.06.07 the duration is 54 days and the planned finish is 17.08.07. I have run a macro giving the planned % as 35. The actual start is 25.06.07, the actual % is 33% this gives a remaining duration of around 36 days. However, the progress bar has moved to 25.06.07 thats ok, but the progress infill goes to a third of the bar but the end date for the bar is still 54 days away from the 25.06.07. It should be 36 days from 02.07.07. If I have done a third of the duration in the first week surely the duration should adjust itself to reflect the remaining duration ??

Andrew

Replies

Kamarul Bahrin H...
User offline. Last seen 24 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Hi Nicolas,

A)please check your calender day.. did you put any holiday ?

B) go tool > option > calculation ... check all the command.

Nicolas Igersheim
User offline. Last seen 7 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Andrew

Didnt you check the
"fixed duration" on that task? ({Shift}{F2})
In that case it seems normal that the duration
does not change?

hth

Nicolas
Andrew Owenson
User offline. Last seen 16 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
James

Thanks for replying, the bar is not a summary bar its a normal activity bar. my main point being is that I have done a third of the duration in the first week, but the progress shows a third done but over the whole original period, which makes the end date for that activity wrong. The progress line is showing that the activity is ahead of programme % wise but finishes late due to the late start.

Best Regards

Andrew
James Griffiths
User offline. Last seen 15 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Andrew,

The % Complete of duration is actually a bit funny in the way it calculates it at summary level. However, in essence, it looks at the durations of each individual activity and calculates the summary based on the sum total of those durations.

Example: two activities. A1=20 days, A2=10 days. Total activity days = 20+10=30 days. If A1=20% complete (4 days) and A2=80% complete (8 days), the summary % Complete will be [4+8]/30= 40% Complete. It DOES NOT look at the duration of the summary bar itself.

HTH

James.