Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Critical Slack Calculation

4 replies [Last post]
John Pfluegler
User offline. Last seen 15 years 1 week ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi,

I am detailing a shutdown schedule which entails a total duration of 1 day and includes over 150 tasks of varying lengths.

Is there any way to change the critical path slack to hours instead of days?

Thanks

John

Replies

Niek Zonneveld
User offline. Last seen 2 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Yes you are right Vladimir, resource dependencies are just as important as precedence logic, and if you touch the levelling button in MSP, you can be sure that the task flag "critical" means next to nothing.

Assuming John knows this, he could use a formula to drive one of the custom flag fields and then use that flag to mark a Gantt bar as critical based on hourly thresholds rather than the standard days.

I’m out of my territory here but I think in a one-day plant shutdown resource constraints are of lesser concern.
John,
if you created resource-constrained schedule then total slacks showed by MS Project are wrong. So it does not make sense to pay attention to these data at all (days or hours - they are wrong in any case).
Niek Zonneveld
User offline. Last seen 2 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
I think what John is referring to is the setting under [tools] [options] [calculation]: Task are critical if slack...

I also think the answer is "No"

HTH