Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Calculation of Free Slack in MS Project 2000

5 replies [Last post]
Bo Johnsen
User offline. Last seen 8 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Hi all,

I have the following simple example to illustrate my problem: Say we have 3 activities A, B and C where durations are respectively 5, 10 and 10 days. Activity C are dependant of completion of both A and B. That means that activity A has a total and free slack of 5 days, which is correct. When I write "FS+1" from A to C it gives A a total and free slack of 4 days. Again correct. However, when I write anything with minus it suddenly reduce the free slack for A to zero, e.g. "FS-1" from A to C gives a total slack of 6 days for A, which is correct, but the free slack is now zero (0 days) whereas it should be 6 days?

I don’t understand this as in my mind activity A could still be delayed 6 days without delaying any other activity (C in this case).

Can anyone please explain?

Regards,

Bo

Replies

Brian Ultican
User offline. Last seen 16 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I just tried this network in Project 2007 and it works as expected. FS-1 produces free and total slack of 6 days on A
Hemanth Kumar
User offline. Last seen 43 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Your Are Right Mr Paul Harris
MS Project Is A Wonderful Tool For Presentation Planning
And Beyond ThatYou Have To Depend On Other Programs

Hemant
http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/8830/nethm4.jpg
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 5 weeks ago. Offline
All the schedule tools have problems.

MSP is simple to start with but when one gets into complex schedules such as progressing resourced schedules it gets very hard in MSP and I can do things four time quicker in other products.

It is a case of selecting the most appropriate tool for the job. If you are creating simple projects that you are not progressing then MSP is fine, but it is not the tool for complex schedules.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Training Manual & Book Publishers & Consulting
www.eh.com.au
Bo Johnsen
User offline. Last seen 8 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Brad,

MS certainly has a lots of bugs and it is not the best planning programme, we all know that. However, it is not totally full of s... and none of the other planning programmes (and I’ve tested a "few")is that user friendly as MS Project. Probably the reason why it is still utilized by Tom, Dick & Harry, but not that much of specialized people (eg. construction planners).

Anyway, tried the same as you ("FS-1"), just in Candy and Pertmaster. Didn’t get any errors in those, ie. correctly calculated free slack. Another bug in MS as you stated.

Thanks,

Bo
Brad Lord
User offline. Last seen 9 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
bo

it does this because project is full of bugs and full of shit, i have just tried it on suretrak and you get the correct results, ie when you put the fs -1 from a to c, the free float and total float increase by a factor of 1

regards

brad