Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Task duration depends on other task

2 replies [Last post]
M Rooseboom
User offline. Last seen 21 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi,

I am using MS Project 2000 and am trying the following:

I have a task and I want to plan it based upon the duration of another task (testwork for example).

So task 1 takes 100 hours and task 2 takes 25% of task 1 (so 25 hours in this case)...

..I could first calculate it but when I change the first number I have to change it everywhere in the planning..

..is this possible?

Thx

Replies

Ed van der Tak
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Beste M, Dear M,

Altough were dutch, i will answer this in english. Best way to solve this problem is probably to set up a structure in which codes identify the related activities. In this way you can, after modifications to the schedule, run a macro to adjust related durations.

Its not a common solution but were both seeking new and creative alternatives, I guess!

Groeten,

Ed van der Tak
Aram Planning Consultants
The Netherlands
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I am faily certain that the function you are looking for is not an inbuilt function of Microsoft Project 2000.

You could probably achieve something with a couple of milestones driven by successors with %lags and span them with a parent activity, but it would not be very elagant.

Regards

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd