Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

We will soon REQUIRE YOU to have a COMPLETE MEMBER PROFILE to make that post; PLEASE CLICK HERE TO COMPLETE IT.

14 replies [Last post]
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi PP Admin

I have been trying tocomplete my membership profile for many months but the form has constantly rejected my efforts.

Now I am being told that I cannot make further contribution to PP on the spurious grounds that I have not completed my profile.

I object to the insulting use of CAPITAL letters in the demand - if this policy is not reversed by the end of this week I will quit Planning Planet.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 7 hours 45 min ago. Offline

Mike,

As far as I know they might go against those who make product comparison of their software as they prohibit product comparison in their license. If they feel you are a menace to their control of the market they might go against you or at least use scare tactics that have been very effective into preventing unbiased product comparison and benchmarking by others.

I do not have a P6 license, I do not use P6 so there is no agreement between me and ORACLE but still I miss those old days unbiased product comparisons of CPM software of the 80's.

I believe you password is perfect, makes so much sense must be easy to remember, I hope you are not claiming exclusives use of your password, do not censor your password, I love it. I might even try it using my software, is fun.

Best regards,

Rafael

Mike Testro

Hi Rafael

Re your Censorship ban on Oracle - does this mean that I could be sued for the use of my login password?

p6iscrap.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Rafael Davila

Censorship by software giants is no secret, it has wiped out the independent product comparison that provided us with non-biased information years ago.

http://www.infoworld.com/%5Bprimary-term-alias-prefix%5D/%5Bprimary-term%5D/censorship-test-case-672?page=0,1

Products comparison prohibited, SHUT UP.

Photobucket

Of course there is reason for some to fear retaliation by these companies, even if the case would fall in court, even if a counterclaim against these giants can be awarded if found abusive by our courts the effect has been real, you never know what a court will say tomorrow.

For over a year I have been waiting for the final release of a software comparison for resource leveling algorithms between Spider and ORACLE-P6, it never came out and I am not surprised at all. SHUT UP still prevails, maybe unless biased on their favor...

I hope eventually public will take notice our government is doing business with companies that censor independent and unbiased evaluation of their products. Maybe some legislation to prohibit government agencies doing business with such companies is due. We shall deal with monopolistic practice of some of these companies and start thinking about promoting software and operating systems that are open.

BTW yesterday the annoying banner about my incomplete profile came out, I finished it with minimum information but the banner continued to appear a few times after I finished 100% my profile.

Photobucket

Best regards,

Rafael

Hello Raphael,

This is Jon, from the PP Team (planner myself too).  I will ask James what the rationalie behind it is just to be sure.  I know that the only reason this ws implemented was to encourage us to share details of who we are and what we have acomplished etc; many people have not completed their profiles - this is just a way to ask them to add some more information. I might suggest we require some information but not all.  Either way, I will ask the guys what they are planning.

I have found no problems with getting to 100% complete - if anyone can't do that, I will help them (if they want help).

I myself make some posts and my belief system is that as long as I am objective, offer opinions in a constructive and professional manner, then I am in the clear and within my rights to do so and to state what I think. 

Am I wrong (hope not)?

The companies who support PP, help pay for the server costs (as there are no other real costs to PP as far as I am aware) and they simply market themselves to the community (I guess they try to sell more licenses too) and take onboard user suggestions etc. 

We (you, me and PP) are covered in respect to your concern over us being 'slapped' or 'shut down' so do not worry on that account; indeed, the worst that can happen is that one of the software companies can simply stop supporting the site. 

As PP is wholly independant we do not need them... and I would argue we do them a service?

Interesting topic :)

I still think that we, as professionals and practitioners, need to show who we are in order to be accountable for our opinions.  From my personal perspective, it interests me as to why some people feel the need to remain anonymous :)

Thanks - PP Team

Rafael Davila

Give us a break, this annoying banner continues showing at random.

Why don't you eliminate this requirement to display full experience, some of us want to keep the information confidential because some of our comments might not be welcomed by the software developers, we believe some might even attempt to give us a slap to shut us down.

Please keep PP a free speech forum for the benefit of the planning community. It is supposed to be by planners and for planners, not by software developers for their benefit at our expense. We shall all benefit including software developers.  

I am suspicious about the insistence on requiring disclosure of full profile.

Regards,

Rafael

Hello Bernard, and friends.

We have asked our techies to add some validation to the advice / warning and make sure it is not shown to users who's profile is already 100% complete. Seems to be a sensible idea; but they didnt think of it.

Sorry and regards...

PP Team.

Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 18 weeks ago. Offline

Has this been resolved yet?  I'm still getting:

"We will soon require you to have a complete member profile to make that post; Please click here to complete it"

every time I post a message even though I've completed the profile to the best of my knowledge.

Hello Mike..

"Even so why do I still get the warning if my profile is up to date?"

That is an excellent question.  I will find out.

Thanks.

Mike Testro

Hi Admin

Thanks for removing the capital letters - the text is much less offensive now.

Even so why do I still get the warning if my profile is up to date?

Best regards

Mike Testro

Rafael Davila

Thank you very much.

Rafael

Hi Rafael,

We'll sort it for you.

Regards...

Rafael Davila

We will soon REQUIRE YOU to have a COMPLETE MEMBER PROFILE to make that post; PLEASE CLICK HERE TO COMPLETE IT.

Does it means that if your profile is not complete you will not be able to post in PP any longer?

I am trying to finish mine using dummy data as I do not want to expose my information on the Internet because of how frequent internet ID theft has become. Still cannot post my dummy data although I prefer not having to recur to dummy data at all. 

Full name, address, birth date and current employer is close to enough for ID to be stolen as even ss is related to birth date and location. The latest trend is to use this information to steal IRS refunds. 

Best regards,

Rafael

Hello All...

News on Profiles - We fixed 3 small bugs last week that were making it difficult to complete our profiles so we are confident that if you edit one of your experience records then the offending 'complete job experiences' problem should be fixed.  It worked for my profile.

Dear Mike - We have removed the capitals as this appears to be objectional and offending you, our appologies.  We really hope that you will remain with us as you are a valuable member of the community and the help and advice you offer many people is truly terrific.  The choice is ofcourse yours Mike but we do hope you stay.  We also checked out your profile, re-saved one of your experence records, and it does appear to be complete.

Dear Steve - We checked your profile and it shoes as not being complete because you are showing as not having a current experience record; i.e. a record with a start date and no finish date.  We had not thought about the case when some of us do not have a current role so we may need to amend our policy. Do let us know at ppadmin@planningplanet.com if you want us to help you in any way possible.

Dear Everyone - The reason for this proposed change is so that we can make it easier for each of us to find our friends and past and current collegues.  If we all invest a little time in telling others about ourselves, i.e. via our profiles, then we feel it will be an all-round improvement.  We polled ~500 members and this was the majority vote.  

Dear Mike / Steve / Everyone - We do hope this clarifies things a little and as usual, we value your thougths and opinions.

Please remember that this place is run by volunteer planners so we do not get everything right.  The Admin Team.

Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Mike, I've been having exactly the same experience!  And unless they are trying to tell you and me something, I suspect it's not just us -- many others are probably feeling the same "rejection".  PP Admin, I think your system has a problem.

Fraternally in project management,

Steve the Bajan