Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Controlling & Organizing posts

4 replies [Last post]
bhadri vakacherla
User offline. Last seen 11 years 3 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

I remember Pareto's law as i watch the posts on the website.

Few people share are sharing their highly valuable experiences,

Many people are posting only requests for sample projects, documentation etc.

While one or two requests are understandable, repeated requests are irritating. Probably people should be advised to discipline themselves to send personal messages when they seek specific information instead of public posts.

I hope the moderator will find some solution for this problem

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 12 hours 16 min ago. Offline

MEMBERS SHALL BE PROHIBITED TO POST OFFERINGS TO SEND E-MAIL FILES. THESE POSTINGS SHALL BE DELETED AS SOON AS DETECTED.

1- IS ANNOYING. FREQUENTLY YOU GO TO THESE THREADS IN LOOK FOR KNOWLEDGE JUST TO FIND THE STUPID "PLEASE E-MAIL ME...".

2- CAN LEAD TO TRANSFER OF COPY PROTECTED MATERIAL AS IT IS NOT TRANSPARENT.

3- IS UNNECESSARY AS THERE ARE MANY FREE FILE HOSTING SERVICES FOR WHICH A LINK CAN BE SUPPLIED.          NOTE PP SHALL NOT GET INTO THE BUSINESS OF FILE HOSTING.

PEOPLE SHALL BE ENCOURAGED TO CREATE NEW THREADS WHEN ORIGINAL BECOMES "OLD", AFTER LAST POSTING TO THE TREAD IS MORE THAN 3 MONTHS THEN AUTOMATICALLY THE TREAD SHALL BE CLOSED. There is nothing wrong for new members to ask the same question that was asked 3 years ago, just keep them apart as software changes make many of these previous answers obsolete. Older members will pass a concise summary of what was previously learned but still valid. PP is not an Encyclopedia but a live discussion forum.

Of course looking for older posts is still wise, we always had the search functionality but this time I will thank again PP for the new MORE LIKE THIS option on the right column, is very handy. Maybe some pop-ups functionality can be implemented so that whenever a user makes a posting to a topic with many hits to More Like This with many replies then a pop-up would trigger a reminder about the search functionality as well about the More Like This. I agree with Mike about the reminder to search previous postings. Pop ups functionality can even be expanded as to include other hints under other pop-up rules.

A few simple rules can provide some order, none will be perfect but better than none.

Regards,

Rafael

This is definately something we (PP) should make an effort on...

• Encouraging people to search before posting
  • Encouraging answers from the Forum to be added to the Wiki as 'model answers' or 'reference answers'

It's a tricky situation but, as was stated earlier (by Mike?), human nature is usually to jump in to ask rather than go and investigate to see if the answer has already been provided.

Not sure this helps much, more statement, than, action ;)

Regards... PP Team

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Badhri

The 80 / 20 principle also applies to much of project control not just PP.

It is always a good idea to search the forum for your topic before going public since it is a goldmine of experience - 20% nuggets mixed with 80% dross.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Roland Tannous
User offline. Last seen 12 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

There is a bad trend on this forum of people posting responses to threads without reading what has been stated earlier in the same threads and going with the flow of the conversation.

Not very encouraging.