Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Planning Immortals

12 replies [Last post]
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi friends,

I just wonder if we can compile a list of planning immortals or people that dedicated their lives in the development of planning theory or thoughts.

For example in management, we know a lot of management thought: Frederick Taylor - scientific management, Henry L. Gantt the founder of charting system for production scheduling called GANTT CHART, Frank and Lillian Gilbreth, etc.

At least we know about GANTT CHART, but there must be a lot.

How about the team that started PERT/CPM. or who started earned valuee management.

Just an idea.

Cheers,

Charlie

Replies

William Cormack
User offline. Last seen 1 year 5 weeks ago. Offline
Gary

You might enjoy reading Gene Kranz’s book "Failure is not an option." He covers the planning and preparation in great detail and of course he was intimately involved. One for the PEO’s recommended book list?

Chris Kraft and others have also written their memoirs of their time in the US space programme.

Regards
Oscar Wilde
User offline. Last seen 16 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Gary
Same planner for appollo 13
How many times have we seen what we have done go wrong cos we believe it does not merit inspection as thats the way we have always done it
Gary France
User offline. Last seen 16 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
On my list of planning immortals must surely be the person, or people, who planned the moon landing back in 1969. Whilst astronauts Neil Armstrong, Michael Collins, and Edwin (Buzz) Aldrin may have won the glory, to me, producing a schedule of rocket burns, orbits, trajectories, the landing, fuel consumption and the like was a truly monumental piece of planning.

We will probably never know their names, but given the limited tools they had at the time, these people get my vote.

Gary
Oscar Wilde
User offline. Last seen 16 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Why did MCarther
or when did Mcarther plan to leave the Philipines
It would appear that wading to a ship and running away with a Japanese bayonet inches from you bum was a serious floor in forward planning
however from the PR aspect great planning as he advised that he would come back
Mcarther no I would say Patten for go get them planning

Off the cuff military planning Stirling I would say saw a void
Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
My top ten of planning immortals

1 the creator of the universe
2 the guy wot done the pyramids
3 the bricklayer what don the graet wall
4 the brickie what built them things for the incas
5 the gardener what done the park in babylon
6 my mum cos i wasnt never late for school
7 my first boss who said bollocks to that shite just eye it in
8 my second boss who said if it looks right it is right
9 general mcarthur cos charlie said so
10 the guy wot planned the invasion of sicily the last time
11 the guy wot came from alabania and dide in india
12 haniball and his spectacular elephants (not lecter)

gosh more than 10 guess number 9 will have to go as 6 is much more important.
any more planning imortals
Christian Adrian ...
User offline. Last seen 4 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Planners

May I suggest that we should at least narrow down the planning immortals coz there are numerous persons who have been involve in planning & strategies, e.g. Shun Tzu is one of the known person involve the development of military planning & strategies and as of today his knowledge is not only being used in military but also in business as well (all kinds including construction), as far as I know this website has provided planning knowledge mostly in general engineering & construction and project management...

Just an opinion...

Cheers!

Christian
Darrell ODea
User offline. Last seen 18 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Charlie,

As someone who takes "The Planning Planet" and those that subscribe very seriuosly indeed, unlike some I could care to mention or not.

Then in answer to your initial question.

I have a friend whom is still alive, thus so far is immortal. I wont give out his name in case he sues, lets just call him BM.

He once said something very profound.

"Where there is a Will, there is a Wont", and sometimes many of them. (BM).

Does he qualify??

Best wishes,

Darrell

"Planning Immortals
I just wonder if we can compile a list of planning immortals or people that dedicated their lives in the development of planning theory or thoughts".
Charleston-Joseph...
Hi Bernard,

I understand your question (confusion)?

This is because your thinking of planning is limited in the construction environment.

Planning is broad in application. Military planning or wedding planner (watch out for the biggest bang in Hollywood: TOMKAT wedding) is still planning.

The fundamental in learning is to look out externally and grab whatever will help us in planning. This is only one of the many ways to improve planning planet website.

The example of Macarthur is only a minimal fraction of his planning ability (refer to American Caesar).

There is strategic planning and tactical planning. This type of planning are present in construction. To attain the overall strategy, there must be a tactical plan of actions. These tactical plans are gear to achieve tactical goals that points to the strategic goal.

You cannot attain your strategic goal by just flicking your finger like magic wand. That is fantasy or dreams, a none real dream.

Cheers
Edgar Ariete
User offline. Last seen 5 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Bernard,

In what aspect does it help? other than speed? & what do you mean by some separation?

Can you create some sense of awareness?
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Does strategy = planning? I think there is some separation there...

Bernard Ertl
eTaskMaker Project Planning Software
Charleston-Joseph...
Hi,

I consider Genereal Douglas MacArthur as one of the Planning Immortals.

He develop the concept of Tripple Envelopment: Land, Sea and Air approach in outflanking the enemies and winning the war.

At that time, the planning and execution was common sense. The enemies landed their troops in A (away from range of fighters and bombers) and walked in dense jungle towards B. The Americans will evacuate B and OUTFLANKED the enemies and land their forces to C. When the enemies arrived in B, there was nothing: no food, no supplies, etc. The enemies went back to B and then to C to engaged the Americans. Along the dense jungle they lost troops from malaria, sickness, demoralization,etc. At the firefight in C, the enemies lost against the Americans.

In construction, we look at project with goal. The three elements that envelope the project goal are: within budget, within quality and within time (traditional view). How to maximize the efficient utilization of project resources in outflanking the constrains in achieving project goals remains a question? And for the individual project managers to answers.

Cheers,

I hope you like my story about General MacArthur. I think there are a lot of them: PLANNING IMMORTAL.

Edgar Ariete
User offline. Last seen 5 years 30 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

Don’t worry, you can be one of them someday Charlie....by the way, what have you done so far?...