Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Contract Control Softwares

2 replies [Last post]
Se de Leon
User offline. Last seen 2 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I would like to suggest a forum on contract control softwares like Expedition. How it is efficiently used in various projects of different nature, what are the latest techniques, how sharing of files are done in a project environment, best practices etc. etc.

Replies

Tomasz Wiatr
User offline. Last seen 2 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Sigfredo Rex de leon,

concept with discussion related with Expedition is very good. In my oppinion this is interesting subject/topic, specially in connection with scheduling! I don’t have any experience in Expedition using (only in own very simple Office solutions) but I know that in Primavera Enterprise we can read Expedition files! It is interesting subsubject here ;-)

Good Luck
Andrew Ng
User offline. Last seen 4 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Document and Correspondence Management Software

Dear Sirs,

Quite apart from the Project Administration and Cost Control Software like JD Edwards and Expedition, there is another aspect of project administration I found most difficult to manage efficiently. i.e. Document and Correspondence Management.

I have used several Access-Based relation database for tracking the correspondence and document transmittal, which most companies involved in construction industries developed to fulfil their needs at various stages of their advancement into international arena. My experience found most to be lacking in the following areas:-

a) the ability to track to the level of searching for particular words used in your 2 years of correspondence, be it letters, emails or faxes, even internal memos;

b) the ability to track to individual the date and time of their reading or action on the said document, eg , review or comments or reply etc.

c) the ability to trigger alarms on overdue actions whether required on the part of originator or the recipients of the documents.

I have been told of this Australian software Qtrak and QDMS (http://www.qa-software.com/) which unfortunately I have not been able to access, for trials or for real applications.

According to my secretary who worked in one such Aussie companies with such facilities, the software has what it takes to make the document management significantly less dreary or cumbersome.

Short of getting a free trial copy of the software from any parties willing to share(if there is indeed one available legally) I would like to hear from any member of the forum who has any prior experience with these softwares.

Hopefully I can learn sufficiently re the product, its capabilities and limitation if any, to recommend to my next employer the overhead costs and pitfalls to avoid, like what I have now of having a staffstrength of some 4 full time staff not including my secretary doing nothing but tracing and copying the document flow internally and to external parties in a project with more than 3 interface parties, twenty subcontractors, one client and one designer,and still barely doing a very tiresome but passable job.

Best Regards

Andrew Huang
....Kaohsiung Taiwan......
www.project-resources.com